Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all:

As of yesterday, my wife and I are the proud owners of a lovely, dark blue 1972 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000. The car is mostly unrestored and original. has only one small rust area (passenger floorpan), was meticulously maintained and always garaged. The only non-standard items are Rota alloy "minilite-like" wheels, wider tires and an electronic ignition. This was a California car until one year ago.

The pre-inspection mechanic said it was the nicest driving GTV that he has driven in many years. It has been my dream to own one of these for about forty years. Previous foreign classic cars owned include three Fiat 124 Spiders and two Triumph TR4As. I currently own a near perfect 1966 MGB roadster. The Alfa will only be driven on nice weather days and will only get better in my care. I'm sure I will have lots of dumb questions but promise to search the archives before asking.:)

Best,
SS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am the fourth owner. The PO had all maintenance records back to 1991. It has 116,595 miles on the OD. The mechanicals are just about perfect. There isn't even surface rust anywhere except as mentioned above. Someone missed the jacking point on the front right and the metal was torn leaving a channel for water to enter. I will arrange to have this fixed within the next week or so. The chrome is showing it's age. The seats were re-upholstered several years ago but there is a small hole in each of the front ones. The carpeting and door panels still look very good. The headliner shows much water staining especially near the back and has a four inch tear. The only large expense on the distant horizon seems to be a really good paint job. It was resprayed once albeit poorly, in 1997 in the original color. This car is easily a candidate for a high condition 2 rolling restoration. That will happen. And oh boy do we love the color!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I am the fourth owner. The PO had all maintenance records back to 1991. It has 116,595 miles on the OD. The mechanicals are just about perfect. There isn't even surface rust anywhere except as mentioned above. Someone missed the jacking point on the front right and the metal was torn leaving a channel for water to enter. I will arrange to have this fixed within the next week or so. The chrome is showing it's age. The seats were re-upholstered several years ago but there is a small hole in each of the front ones. The carpeting and door panels still look very good. The headliner shows much water staining especially near the back and has a four inch tear. The only large expense on the distant horizon seems to be a really good paint job. It was resprayed once albeit poorly, in 1997 in the original color. This car is easily a candidate for a high condition 2 rolling restoration. That will happen. And oh boy do we love the color!
Yeah all these little things that werent done properly by previous owners just make me focus on doing things properly on my car. As I know in 10-20 or 30 years + time someone will be glad I took care of everything properly and thoughroughly on my car. Thats the priviledge of owning classic cars there there for you to enjoy right now and to look after for all future owners to come.

·
Banned
467 Posts
I'm sorry. But I think I've just made a mess in my pants. NURSE.

(Do yourself a favour though, now you have proved you are a man of taste, ditch the beard and the MG. There's a good chap)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry. But I think I've just made a mess in my pants. NURSE.

(Do yourself a favour though, now you have proved you are a man of taste, ditch the beard and the MG. There's a good chap)
I have that effect on people, hence the sign-on name. Sorry, the MG and beard stay.:thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts