Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son turns 17 this coming October and is already talking about cars.

Taking into account, cost, running costs and the dreaded insurance what have other people in a similar situation found to be the best motor to go for?

Our postcode isn't a "blackspot" for insurance so that may help (a little).

Absolutely anything considered so long as it has 4 wheels.

Is it true that classic cars don't pay road tax? Would a 17 year old get insurance on a classic?

It certainly doesn't have to be a classic though.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
My first car was a 205 1.0 :) bought for £200 by my old man
My second car I bought 6months later was a 205 1.1. Again a great little car.
Then at 18 and a bit I bought an alfa 155 1.8 16v for £100 and never looked back. (still got it too! )

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Generally classic Car policies tend to be for the older driver but a friend did look into it a few years ago for his son to get into something like a Triumph Vitesse. I have not tried myself but my limited experience suggests that under 25 or 30 you have little if no chance. Don't take my word for it though.
As for road fund license the car has to be 1972 or older to qualify for zero road fund. Anything upto March 2001?? and below 1.6 litres (I think) is only about £140appx year

I'm afraid Ford Ka and Vauxhall Corsa's tend to be the cheapest to insure.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bought my daughter a VW Lupo off ebay and it was one ot the best cars I have ever bought, Built like a brick toilet! Cheap to insure too if you get the 1.0 ltr group 1 and won't have had the a##e thrashed out of it like corsas,206 ect.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
VW Polo is definitely worth a look I think.

Not expensive to buy or service, plenty of dealers, insurance group 3 to 10 (depending on engine obviously), and best of all they look cool - I think the current version looks considerably nicer than the current Golf. The Polo Gti is a serious bit of kit (not that you'd necessarily get one for a 17 year old).

Also bear in mind that Classic Car policies usually do not accumulate No Claims Discount, which is so unbelievably valuable for young drivers. That and reliability of old cars would suggest you want to go down a cheapish newer car route.

K

·
0 Posts
My nephew went through this experience a couple of years ago and found that a 1.4 MIII Golf was cheapest to insure. The are dirt cheap to buy and run too.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Get a small starter car (that's what they are for). As modern and safe as you can afford. Keep it small engined and small or the insurance will crucify you. We bought a new Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 for the daughters. Fits the bill. Boring but true.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys, some great info there.

Won't be able to afford a new car but I now think a classic is probably not such a good idea (funnily enough, I had a Triumph Vitesse in mind!)

Lupo, Polo or Golf is where I'll start to look as they're decent cars and if they can be insured at a reasonable(!) price then that's way, way better than an old, thrashed corsa, ka, punto, saxo. Classic Mini? Hmmm, I don't think I'd feel he was very safe in one of those if he was involved in an accident. I do like them tho.

Harryf: Just wondered what the insurance cost was for the new Corsa as I assumed insurance on a new car would be astronomical.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Fiat Punto since otherwise it'll take the lad years and a Eureka! moment to get into Italian cars.... later in life and then he'll hate you forever for putting him in a dull old VW when you could have sexed him up.

Also the Punto will have some easy to fix problems at their age now... and it won't hurt the lad to get his hands dirty learning how to fix, service and look after it. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My son turns 17 this coming October and is already talking about cars.

Taking into account, cost, running costs and the dreaded insurance what have other people in a similar situation found to be the best motor to go for?

Our postcode isn't a "blackspot" for insurance so that may help (a little).

Absolutely anything considered so long as it has 4 wheels.

Is it true that classic cars don't pay road tax? Would a 17 year old get insurance on a classic?

It certainly doesn't have to be a classic though.
Try and put him off for another year.
If it anything like my son, after buying a cheap car "Fiesta" he goes through the phase of trying to soup it up.
I want better wheels on it. Dark rear lights (before he got that -it was stocking over the lense covers !!!), lights under the car,better sound system, suitcase in the boot (sub !!) and big boy exhaust all come to mind, Etc etc etc.
Insurance is high no matter what you/he buys at that age.

Is he on the road now ?
I bought my lad (who passed it on to his younger sister) a scooter. They both drove it in almost all weather conditions but learned road sense and so when it came to passing their driving test all they were learning to do was drive the car.
Both pasted first time.

I know its not four wheels but its cheaper and gets him mobile at this time.
I also got the "I want to build a no claims bonus" but the heavy cost involved in the 17-19 years age is offset when they get to 21 anyway.
I am sure he will get the car as all 17 year old kids eventually try and do but if you can talk him out of it you are a better man than most.
Good luck.

Alan

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My daughter who is now 19 passed around her 18th. She inherited a '97 Mazda 121 (Fiesta) 1.3 from her late Grandma. The insurance she paid monthly and both me and her Mum helped. I gave her £100/mth and so did her Mum. She was at college but working part time and had to add another £60appx. So it was £260/mth which is in excess of £3k/yr. An annual fee and different car would have helped I'm sure, but still damn expensive.
Even though it was a Manchester postcode it was at my old house (Ex living there) which drops my insurance by 20% compared to where I'm currently living so it is not all that bad. She is at university now and the car is in the garage and probably wants selling as she has her Mum's old '98 MX5 and insures it when she is away from Uni for a few weeks. Costs her about £45/wk to do that. Think her Mum has her car and the old MX5 on a multi-car policy and adds her as necessary.

Insurance for teenagers on cars is pretty horrific.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting stuff. I think I'll get some quotes from Confused.Com (I'll make him a year older when I fill in the form) and see what happens. According to AutoTrader's quick insurance quote facility, we would be paying around £1500 for insurance on a Lupo 1.0 E.

A scooter? Sorry, but the idea frightens me to death! Especially around the country lanes near us. I know what you mean about acquiring road sense but he's shown no interest in 2 wheels and I don't think I'll be encouraging him.

He has never shown any interest in spanners either - but changing the brake pads will be his first experience!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Interesting stuff. I think I'll get some quotes from Confused.Com (I'll make him a year older when I fill in the form) and see what happens. According to AutoTrader's quick insurance quote facility, we would be paying around £1500 for insurance on a Lupo 1.0 E.

A scooter? Sorry, but the idea frightens me to death! Especially around the country lanes near us. I know what you mean about acquiring road sense but he's shown no interest in 2 wheels and I don't think I'll be encouraging him.

He has never shown any interest in spanners either - but changing the brake pads will be his first experience!
I can understand you feelings of wariness re the Scooter.
It was the same when my daughter's time came around but she coped very well in similar country lanes around us and also in our local and busy city centres.

No accidents or damage and both of mine also had no interest in two wheels until they got them and with road freedom and money in their pocket (less costly insurance) they had a great time and when it came to learning to drive as I mentioned before it came all to easy to them.

Another point was that they were not competing with friends who had been given a near/new car and all that teenage competiveness when driving round.
Funny how many of them had accidents within a month or so of getting the car.
No road sense whatsoever.

Alan

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers Barrys. Good stuff.

Persimmon. fair enough, I'll give it some thought although as I said I find the idea a bit scary at the moment - probably because I've never been a biker myself.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I'm a biker and I'd be pretty wary about my kids on scooters or bikes when they are young. My rule is wait til our 30 and have been driving 10 years before biking... I think it's advantageous to be a driver and learn how drivers behave on the road before becoming a biker... but that's just me

·
Registered
723 Posts
£1500is that on his own policy or was it on yours? I remember my dad put me on his insurance on a 1.4l fiesta and the cost was about £1000

1 - 20 of 60 Posts