Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

My mate is looking for his first car now he has passed his test at the prime old age of 30. He was looking at an MG ZR 1.4 but as the engines on these ae renounced for being head gasket munching beasts he is now not so keen. :tut:

Budget is c£1k and must be reasonable on insurance for a 30yr old male.

Any ideas for some thing not too dull or is it the good old Clio 1.2 for him?:confused:

G

·
You only need to trawl autotrader...000's of possibilities at under a grand.
You were right to keep him away from Rover K series engined tat.

G

·
Insurance will be the defining factor in your search. Will still be on the high side even though he's 30 as he's only just passed.

As Mudhut says, need to build up some NCB.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I disagree with the K-series being bad. Not if they are looked after.
My biggest gripe with the K-series engine is it's previous owners. It is not a perfect design and certainly needs more care than your average lump.
Due to it's design it is light and quite powerful for it's size (in it's day of course).
Biggest problem is ensuring it is good when you buy it, you can do the obvious and check for oil in water, driving it might help by seeing how hot it gets.

If you do buy, just watch the oil and water level, Check weekly.
My Mum has the K-series in a 1989, 214, I had it in a 25 (mine was the more stressed 1.6) and never had any issues.

Don't just write off the ZR on hearsay. Most folk like those that criticise Alfa have never owned one.
Lastly http://mgrover.org and look there as they are most helpful. MalcQV sent you :lol:

Land Rover developed a head gasket that pretty much fixes the issue. Many will now have that fitted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I disagree with the K-series being bad. Not if they are looked after.
My biggest gripe with the K-series engine is it's previous owners. It is not a perfect design and certainly needs more care than your average lump.
Due to it's design it is light and quite powerful for it's size (in it's day of course).
Biggest problem is ensuring it is good when you buy it, you can do the obvious and check for oil in water, driving it might help by seeing how hot it gets.

If you do buy, just watch the oil and water level, Check weekly.
My Mum has the K-series in a 1989, 214, I had it in a 25 (mine was the more stressed 1.6) and never had any issues.

Don't just write off the ZR on hearsay. Most folk like those that criticise Alfa have never owned one.
Lastly http://mgrover.org and look there as they are most helpful. MalcQV sent you :lol:

Land Rover developed a head gasket that pretty much fixes the issue. Many will now have that fitted.
Can totally agree that K-series can be good. Have 1.8 Freelander with modified head gasket, takes a lot of abuse to get the big beast moving at any pace. Now 105k on the clock. Looses some water but not a lot, uses no oil, not like my 2.0 TS GTV.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
My MG-TF160 blew it's head gasket at 30,000kms. The car was maintained by the MG Rover agents.
Admittedly it was never designed originally as a 1.8.
Maintenance for a car is done by the both the owner and dealer.
I'm not saying the head gasket does not go, it can but if looked after it is a lot less likely too.
I maintain, it fitted with the LR gasket especially, is still a good engine and would not put me off buying an MG Rover, Elise or LR :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
is you look at the bargain bucket threads, there are some decent cars for that cash
I would go for a GTV or a celica for 1k.

G

·
30 year old with no NCB , want's something reliable easy to maintain and lets face it, respectable with a little kudos with a bit more room than a super mini and of course cheap on fuel?

VW Golf TDi, group 9-10 insurance dependent on the bhp output figure, 50+mpg will go and go and go for 250,000 mile plus without major work needed. Easy to service DIY too;)

Personally I don't like VAG cars but when it comes to meeting certain criteria, they often fit the bill.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. Does 40mpg, cheap to insure, pretty quick, big enough for almost any need, cheap to repair.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys, he did want the MG but was put off by all the bad press they get but I suppose they will be like anything at this price range - mostly down to the previous owners. A 100k plus mileage golf is not a bad move and I did try and push a nice looking 1.6 147 on him but I don't think the insurance is too good on them. I think I will keep trying :) Focus, Astra is a fairly safe bet too.

Just one thing on the MG are parts an issue now there is no more Rover?

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I'm not aware of any problems obtaining parts.

XPart - About XPart

They are effectivley the main supplier of Rover/MG parts. There are other suppliers, Rimmerbros being one such company :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts