Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read my post on the squealing rear brakes on the Giulietta section you'll gather I'm a tad annoyed at Donnellys not sorting this when I had the car in a couple of months back.
The chap on the service desk mentioned about rear pad wear when I got the car back and I did say that this would indicate there was an issue but he said everything was fine.

It's the first time I've felt they really didn't bother properly investigating the issue and it could have been sorted relatively simply. I hope this isn't the start of a downward trend in service :(.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big john I also mention this on last years service and they quoted me 200£ to sand them down and blow away the gathering dust.
Well, there was a problem as the pads had seized in the sliders but Donnelly's obviously hadn't checked. Brakes stripped, cleaned and the tabs on the pads ground down slightly plus a dab of coppa-slip and all sorted for £40 by Johnny Cargo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
same thing happened on my wifes Mito....

my guy whipped the pads out and ground a little off each end of pad as they were too tight a fit in the caliper.... sorted in 15 mins......

L C motors , Glengormley.. good for tyres too.....

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good job you weren't in Donnelly's yesterday as I had a mini rant at the service manager :rant:

Basically the car was left for a full service but this is were things got complicated and perhaps a breakdown of communication was inevitable. There was a squeak from the engine which I'd already identified as coming from behind the timing cover and I also mentioned I thought it was the water pump as the car had been losing a small amount of coolant. So I asked if Alfa would make a goodwill contribution to the cost as the car was 6 months out of warranty. There was also an agreement from last year that Alfa would pay for the oil and filter change at the next service (long story).

Somehow the fact the car was due a full service got lost in translation and after the dealer having the car for a week I looked at the invoice when collecting the car yesterday and discovered the air and pollen filters and plugs hadn't been changed :rolleyes:.

They'd only put down the oil/filter change on the job card. The service manager then had the cheek to tell me they probably wouldn't have the parts. When I asked, in astonishment, why they didn't have routine service items in stock he only shrugged and said "we don't do many cloverleafs". I would have said more but my son was there so I only replied that I was speechless.

So, as it turned out, they did have the parts and another half hour wait and the car was ready. Slightly frustrating but I guess it was all sorted in the end; no apology but they did give me a good discount on the parts. I should also point out that they did push Alfa for a contribution on the water pump and it looks like Alfa paid roughly half (including timing belt, tensioner and guides plus the coolant obviously) so overall I can't complain too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.