Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Having read lots about people cleaning their engine bays and having seen a lot of amazing photos I thought I'd give it a go with mine today.

This was my first attempt as it's never crossed my mind to clean the engine bay before but overall I'm pleased with the outcome although there are more bits that I want to do over the next week or so like replacing rusty nuts and bolts and probably paint a couple of manky bits and bobs too (exhaust heat guard to name but one!).

To get it to this stage I used just water and car shampoo, Autoglym engine cleaner ensuring I didn't splash water everywhere, plenty of rags to wipe off and then finished off with Autoglym rubber and vinyl cleaner

Overall this took me 3 hours and plenty of cuts and grazed knuckles!!!

I'm under no illusions, I've got a long, long way to go to get it anywhere near as good as some of those seen on this forum but it's a start and I've done the main hard work I think.

I've enclosed an after picture but forgot to take a before picture!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
i'd say that's pretty much perfect, come and do mine if you like.
does that engine cover come off easily? mine needs to come off to clean it i think, as it's deeply engrained with oily gunge.

·
Administrator
87,603 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'd say that's pretty much perfect, come and do mine if you like.
does that engine cover come off easily? mine needs to come off to clean it i think, as it's deeply engrained with oily gunge.
Thanks!

To be be honest I was glad when it was done as it got a bit gutty after a while but it was worth it in the end and now it's to a point where I can just 'potter' with it to get it better.

The silver cover is easy to take off as it's only held on with 4 torx bolts, sprayed mine with degreaser and then washed off and dried and came up as good as new!

Oh a word of warning though, the wife saw it and now I've got to do the engine on her Golf !!!!

Regards Fraser

M

·
0 Posts
From the picture that looks like a very tidy engine bay:cool:

....dare I say, it's smarter than a V6 that I work on quite regularly:thumbs: (I don't mean mine:lol:)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Bang on, good job it look nearly new again :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Nice one.. :) Tell yer missus that when she buys a motor with a handsome donkey in it, then it'll be worth the trouble of you cleaning it.. ;)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sweeeet!!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
202 Posts
:) Nice one! My 147 is Nero black and the engine bay always looks dull, no matter how clean and shiny it is. Red is definitely the right colour for Alfa's!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
finally got round to having a go at this

quite pleased with the result

K

·
0 Posts
Top work. You'll find now that keeping it clean is a lot easier than getting it clean.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts