Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So don't laugh. Anyway due to change in circumstances I am having to let go of my wonderful Megane F1 R26 and is looking at getting a 156 instead. As money is tight I've only got around 2k to spend and was looking at 156's that are 6 to 10 years old. I have just recently test drove a W reg 2.4 JTD ( its stil for sale on a certain website at £2299 )but walked away because it wasn't in the best of nick and the clutch stuck down for a second when you completely pressed it to the floor ( is that normal, I wouldn't have thought so ) and I also believe it was slippping too.
Thing is what can I expect for my money? Would ideally like the diesel as long interval between cambelt service and better mpg but the 2.0 TS or JTS is tempting ( although 36k between timing belts is very short ).
There are a lot out there that have gone bang which is slightly worrying - although maybe I should be getting one of those and putting a recon engine in.
Any advice on what to look out for is very much appreciated.
I'm doing around 20k a year so one with low mileage is a must.

help!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should be able to get a decent 2.4jtd with the 140bhp motor (2001) or 150bhp (2002) for £2000 if you look hard and haggle with 70k on the clock, make sure you check cam belt has been changed, smooth tickover (Maf probs), gets up to 85 degrees on a run and the low speed fan cuts in at 95 degrees, lift the carpets and insulation and check for water leaks as it is a known issue also look underneath for damage/missing underseal.Clutches are generally OK but judder when pulling away and a chirp between swift gearchanges normally points to DMF (dual mass flywheel) clutch and DMF close to 4 figures at dealer.

I ran a remapped 2.4 for 4 years and it went and sounded great, if i was steady i could get 43 average, 48 on a 80mph run and 35 if i wellied it, the 2.4 engine really is exceptional and well worth a look.

It will understeer which is to be expected with a great 2.4 cast iron lump, get the veloce if poss as the Lusso really is just a cruiser

Regards

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tatts and Nelly, but I've been looking on Autotrader and Ebay for a few weeks and nothing comes close to my 2k target unless its older and 140k on the clock. Any pointers for good websites that might have them. Plus I don't want to be travelling too far ( live in Lancs ).
Whats the real diff between Lusso and Veloce? They look very similar to me as both can have skirts and 16" alloys and leather, etc.
Would you not bother with any of the petrol engined varities then?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Don't know about the Uk.
But here in Portugal, Liquefied petroleum gas (also called LPG, GPL, LP Gas, or autogas) is a good solution for people that like gasoline (correction: PETROL) engines for the sporty feeling and better buying price, but need fuel economy. - Again don't know how much you guys pay for fuel or used cars :-(
Here:
Petrol - 1,25€ per L
Diesel - 0,95€ per L
GPL - 0,48 per L

Don't really know what the scenery is in the rest of the world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funnily enough i'm in exactly the same position having just sold my seat leon cupra. I have a beat-up W plate 2.0 TS and am looking to get a newer 156 and spend no more than £5K.

I am very tempted by several 2.0 JTS out there but am starting to wondered whether the 2.4 should be a consideration even. Alfa and diesel don't sit that well with me but for day-to-day driving I do tend to prefer a diesel. I'm not interested in economy particularly more handling and feel.

Any biased or non-biased opinions are welcome since I will be starting to try to book some test drives and actually if anyone knows of a trusted car for sale please let me know as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just sold a bloody great 156 jtd 140 on a `y` with 69k on the clock for 2k, everything replaced - gutted, look on Piston Heads, you will find something, i promise you, if money is an issue hold out for 2.4jtd, bloody great car

·
Registered
97 Posts
Veloce has lowered slightly stiffer set up, not the big gap between arch and tyre, side skirts available on e-bay for £60 for the pair in you colour if you patient and a doddle to fit, although stiffer the veloce will still understeer and beware of grounding the sump on back road thrash, sleeping policemen etc, lusso softer and more readily available with leather which i think is a must

Regards

·
Registered
97 Posts
I will defo second Nelly, can`t go wrong just look at issues in my 1st post, also any knocking over bumps as wishbone, ARB bushes and droplinks can cause knocking, pricey to sort the lot unless the smakemeister is let loose!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that - will certainly give a 2.4 JTD a drive then - but they do appear to a bit like rocking horse whatsits to get hold of from what I understand. Still i'm in no rush and can wait for the right one to come along.

Managed to convince my mum (of all people) to buy a nice new red MiTo 155 with tan leather. It is a nice cabin to be but it is horrible to drive in anything butdynamic mode!!:cry: The funny thing is it does not feel or sound like an Alfa :( but maybe things will get better once it has been properly bedded in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i bought a 2000 w 156 2.0 twinny for 1k in october. spent a fortune so far..... new floor, suspension, brakes (discs and pads) tyres, maf , service(full 96k one), gta body kit, full respray, wheel refurb. spend a shed load on petrol. but cant help but smile and walk away from it every time grinning my head off. 156 is an awesome motor. i like the good old petrol engine but the 2.4 jtd is defo more economic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but I don't want to spend a fortune, and going from a fantastic 57 Megane F1 R26 is always going to be a come down no matter what car I get. I simply cannot afford to by a `dog` of a motor. It has to have been looked after, be realiable and not cost the earth to buy intially - but life isn't like that!! So I will keep looking.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for that - will certainly give a 2.4 JTD a drive then - but they do appear to a bit like rocking horse whatsits to get hold of from what I understand. Still i'm in no rush and can wait for the right one to come along.

Managed to convince my mum (of all people) to buy a nice new red MiTo 155 with tan leather. It is a nice cabin to be but it is horrible to drive in anything butdynamic mode!!:cry: The funny thing is it does not feel or sound like an Alfa :( but maybe things will get better once it has been properly bedded in.
I'm a complete newbie in regards to Alfas...
But... :lol:
ARE 1.4Turbo or diesel engines supposed to sound like Alfas????
:cheese:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts