Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first alfa 147 yesterday. I need to fix a few minor things but this problem seemed like it could be important. Basically when i turn on the ignition, all the warning light light up as normal but then the passenger airbag light flashes about 5 times in yellow and then goes off? What does this mean? It's not deactivated.. I've turned it off and on and the problem still persists..
How can I resolve this?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If it does not stay on then there is nothing to worry about - it is probably going through a test

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hi,

CJO's quite right - it's just doing a test. That particular light is for showing when you've turned the passenger airbag light off. Faults are shown by the red one.

On startup the car tests all the circuits and lights all the warning lamps. As long as none stay on you're OK!

hth!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Welcome to your 147......Just be aware if it does stay on after the test cycle it means your airbag is not activated: it's usually the connection cables under the passenger seat that are at fault. Sometimes mine comes on if the seat is moved ( 3 door) when the engine/ignition is on. It does however reset itself within 10 minutes. If you do a search there is chapter and verse.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Welcome to your 147......Just be aware if it does stay on after the test cycle it means your airbag is not activated: it's usually the connection cables under the passenger seat that are at fault. Sometimes mine comes on if the seat is moved ( 3 door) when the engine/ignition is on. It does however reset itself within 10 minutes. If you do a search there is chapter and verse.
I also had this problem with my GT and as Lovelyred says, it just turned out to be a loose connection under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Just be aware if it does stay on after the test cycle it means your airbag is not activated: it's usually the connection cables under the passenger seat that are at fault.
The red light will stay on if there is a fault, the yellow if the passenger airbag is deactivated via the switch.
It flashes at start up to warn you that the passenger airbag is active, and to remind you to deactivate it should a baby seat be fitted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so more than likely it is flashing because my friend (Liam156) turned it off then on again, so see if the ignition key works in it. Thanks for all the help..

·
Registered
82 Posts
the passenger airbag light will flash everytime you start the car. Safety feature to remind you it's turned on in case you have a baby/child seat in the front.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hi,

CJO's quite right - it's just doing a test. That particular light is for showing when you've turned the passenger airbag light off. Faults are shown by the red one.

On startup the car tests all the circuits and lights all the warning lamps. As long as none stay on you're OK!

hth!
oops just re-read ( a bit late) and realised i didn't mean to put "light" after "passenger airbag"! doh! :D

as the american carpenters say "measure twice, cut once" i need to "read twice...." :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the passenger airbag light will flash everytime you start the car. Safety feature to remind you it's turned on in case you have a baby/child seat in the front.
ohh ok so its just always meant to flash? I was just concerned as my MOT is coming up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts