1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I am about to buy me first Alfa!
I am So exited!
It is a 2002 156 Sportwagon 2.5l V6 (awesome!!!!!!).

The problem is that she needs new shocks.
Can anyone recommend a place where I can buy them in Durban?

The alternative is to Get them from AK Components and putting them in myself(is it hard?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Congrats

And If you're on the other side of town (Highway/Hillcrest way)...I would say SupaQuick Kloof, Keryn Bellars the manager is superb and knows what shes doing and her team is competent. I always get great service from them.

Although I'm not sure if they'll know whats best for the 156SW.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hi everyone!
I am about to buy me first Alfa!
I am So exited!
It is a 2002 156 Sportwagon 2.5l V6 (awesome!!!!!!).

The problem is that she needs new shocks.
Can anyone recommend a place where I can buy them in Durban?

The alternative is to Get them from AK Components and putting them in myself(is it hard?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome buddy:thumbs: If it looks like the one in your avatar, then thats ultra cool:thumbs:

Ask Gertie about shocks, he also has a Sportwagon and his goes like a rocket

·
Registered
684 Posts
Welcome Snyders. Good to have another Dbn local on here. Great SW by the way. How about some more pics.

You can't go wrong with Koni as far as most guys are concerned although I have yet to get a set for my GTA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! Love this forum!
Will show more pics when I get her tomorrow and spent 2 days cleaning her:D

Thanx again for everybody's help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks Mason, "Brendon_in_Dbn" is the exact profile name, here is his direct page link:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/members/brendon_in_dbn.html

He has had more than one 156SW, not sure what he had before but has a 2.5l V6 now too. From his profile(statistics tab) you can check all the posts he has made, he has posted a lot of stuff about sourcing parts, servicing and where to service, cambelt info etc. You should PM him and get into contact, good to know of someone with the same model to share knowledge.

Good luck!

Edit: This is also a useful thread:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/210149-parts-and-services.html

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Ask Gertie about shocks, he also has a Sportwagon and his goes like a rocket
Personally I will avoid no-name products for such critical applications as safety relevant or heavy wearing parts like brakes and suspension. In January I chose this myself
http://shop.alfisti.net/ Suspensions/Eibach-ProSystem- (availability in S.A.; no idea! :) ) - So far just rear pair installed, as that was where I had broken springs...
1st off - welcome - the SW is GREAT - really versatile - quick and practical (and if you have the Bose sound package - big sound is not too hard to achieve)
hehe - Mason thanks for the compliment... Yeah I've been shopping hard for shocks. OEM shocks are not value-for-money you should get better shocks at a similar price. Shock fitments are a pain as you need to compress the spring to get the shock out (and in). Get the shocks from where-ever you choose and take it to your trusty local fitment centre - they will fit it for a fair fee.

I am with Simon on this - you get what you pay for - too cheap is exactly that. Alfisti is a good place to go, but being heavy metal parts shipping adds to the price - Budget 100 euros - make sure you specify you are not European then they remove VAT (you have to pay VAT here - don't pay twice - then add 10% import) I would recommend buying local - Ask Steve at Koni SA for a local (DBN) distributor - Steve cannot undercut the shops he supplies - but just check that you'll get a good price from them.

I am getting myself a fully adjustable coil-over set from Formula Friction (Edenvale):
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/319081-brakes-and-suspension.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome!
What i'll do is just close my eyes and go to hi-q in La-Lucia and get it done (They had the best price so far).
Will do the back set first. Then next month the front 2.

P.S.
Why is it so hard to get hold of the 2 reflectors in the back bumper?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Welcome. Your SW might have self leveling rear shocks so normal 156 rears will not be ideal.
The best is get Koni’s for it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi new dude and welcome, I have got a 156 SW it's my second one, current one is a facelift one :) . I haven't needed to replace the shocks yet. Robin Bauer in Pinetown and Alfa mac also drives a 156 SW I'm sure he wil be able to help you

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Koni STR2s 5500 for all 4 and rear is easy if you have a long tube socket. Front is kuk casue notmal spring compressors dont fit in so well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts