Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a teenager in 1979, I was invincible. The car was pimped, the music was loud and my right foot was on the floor. Suddenly a car pulls out in front of me. I swerve to avoid it, car goes through hedge, drops six feet into the field and cartwheels several times stopping on roof. I unclipped my SEAT BELT, clime out and thumbed a lift home. Injuries were one seat belt burn on my neck.
The luckiest escape ever as pictures will show.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
What a great car,teenagers never change,I had a few very narrow escapes as a teenager in my cars,looking back it makes the blood run cold,but I got away with it,as most of us do.

But we learnt from those narrow escapes and I think it makes us better drivers.:)

What did you replace the GTV with Filbyman?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a1750 with blown up engine and put crashed car engine in which was ok. Swapped back axel. Kept for a year until I found another very nice Silver 2000GTV with factory fitted electric sun roof. Kept that for 15 years. NO RUST. Regret selling it. Still on SORN somewhere in the country. Would love to find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
I crashed my Dad’s 105 GT Junior when I was 18 in 1974 – I was amazed how well he took it! I spun the car, clipped a kerb and went backwards into a stonewall – the only reason the boot didn’t collapse completely was that the spare wheel gave it some strength. It didn’t look too bad but the insurance co wrote it off – it was bought by an enthusiast who repaired it using bits from a 105 that had bad front end damage. The thing that really annoyed me was that it happened on a corner that I drove everyday in our Hillman Avenger Estate and I wasn’t going any faster in the Alfa. Never did like that recirculating ball steering!

My 17 year old passed his test this week but he won't be getting anywhere near the Alfas for some time!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Im still a teenager and trying 2 learn, but its sooooo hard wen i no there is this power under my right foot, and i can neva get enough of puttin the little boy racers with there tiny saxo VTR's n 306's 2 shame.
Tell me im a t**t n that its only gunna end one way!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have a heavy right foot but experience now says in the back of my mind, don’t overtake, let that idiot go or ### is fast enough on this road.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is the mental battle that goes on all the time. this is my first alfa and my first car (insurance is fun!) n id like 2 keep it intact. cheers m8

·
Registered
158 Posts
track days r expensive! but then again so would be a crash i ges

ps, are you going on this south wales run, im from mid wales n fancy it like

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
As a teenager in 1979, I was invincible. The car was pimped, the music was loud and my right foot was on the floor. Suddenly a car pulls out in front of me. I swerve to avoid it, car goes through hedge, drops six feet into the field and cartwheels several times stopping on roof. I unclipped my SEAT BELT, clime out and thumbed a lift home. Injuries were one seat belt burn on my neck.
The luckiest escape ever as pictures will show.
Great pics!
You used a seatbelt in '79?
Lucky you did:thumbs:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a friend whose head tried to go through a screen in a mini cooper two years earlier. What a mess. Always buckled up after that even though it wasn’t law.

·
Registered
346 Posts
track days r expensive! but then again so would be a crash i ges

ps, are you going on this south wales run, im from mid wales n fancy it like
If it's the one on 4/4/09 I'm on a race track. Castle Combe as it happens...

·
Registered
24,536 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wot you guys get up to at Castle Combe then, is it jus a track day or wot?

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Wow, those pics are pretty shocking (and sad, what a beautiful car:(). Amazing that you got out OK.

I did something similar in my old 156 (I won't clutter your thread with photos, but they're in my attachments in my profile), and it was incredible I walked away from it like I did, with just a few injuries. 8BallMike - take it easy in that car of yours, I had my accident because I was going to fast and being complacent, try and learn from others' mistakes - not everyone is so lucky to walk away from such things, and, from your avatar, that is a great looking car you have a responsibility to keep intact;)

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Sometimes you are just lucky.

I spun my Jetta GLi on the M2 on a Fri @ 5.00pm (lost control on the slip road and spun on). One lorry overtaking another 1/4 mile behind me meant I had a clear road.

Nearly twenty years ago but it's important to remember the fear.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts