Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you really need a diesel? Cos mine has turned into a lot of work....unless you commute mor than 45 mins each way every day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey mate,

Yeah I think the diesel would suit my needs, could you elaborate on what's went wrong with yours?

Ewan

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hey,

Im on the hunt for my first Alfa, looking at this one. Can anyone cast any expert advice or comments.

Alfa Romeo 159 2.0 JTDM 16v TI 4dr

Thanks in advance.

Ewan
It must be late 2010 production date - the 2nd face lifting (new TI seats, black alloy on console etc).
Looks nice, proper Alfa paint. It is TI, so you have bigger/more effective Brembo brake disks/callipers, and bit stiffer/lower suspension (with 19" rims especially stiffer feel). Very nice seats with leather outside, alcantara inside and red details - I would dream about such.

If you are OK with Diesel and/or do more than 10kmiles per year, this engine is wise choice.
Personally I changed my 1.9JTDM after 6 years to 1.75TBI, and although I'm happy with how car runs, I feel I'm too often visiting petrol station (I do ~600 miles/month, mainly short distances) - TBI uses 60-80% more fuel than JTDM.
Late 159's and 2.0JTDms engine configuration are rather problem free - e.g. use F40 gearbox (I never heard complaint on this one).

Of course buying any used car there is always some risk - depends how the car was maintained(oil changes more often than user manual says), if user let the engine warm before pressing pedal to metal etc. If you like the car, do careful inspection, check service history, and if all is fine make decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It must be late 2010 production date - the 2nd face lifting (new TI seats, black alloy on console etc).
Looks nice, proper Alfa paint. It is TI, so you have bigger/more effective Brembo brake disks/callipers, and bit stiffer/lower suspension (with 19" rims especially stiffer feel). Very nice seats with leather outside, alcantara inside and red details - I would dream about such.

If you are OK with Diesel and/or do more than 10kmiles per year, this engine is wise choice.
Personally I changed my 1.9JTDM after 6 years to 1.75TBI, and although I'm happy with how car runs, I feel I'm too often visiting petrol station (I do ~600 miles/month, mainly short distances) - TBI uses 60-80% more fuel than JTDM.
Late 159's and 2.0JTDms engine configuration are rather problem free - e.g. use F40 gearbox (I never heard complaint on this one).

Of course buying any used car there is always some risk - depends how the car was maintained(oil changes more often than user manual says), if user let the engine warm before pressing pedal to metal etc. If you like the car, do careful inspection, check service history, and if all is fine make decision.
Many thanks for the detailed response epsonix, this one does seem a little lower in cost than others I seen around at the same mileage so was just curious on the thoughts from the forum members. Il do my checks and hopefully this may be the one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've an '09 ti auto, it has the dreaded stutter in slight acceleration, and I can't find a fix. EGR cleans, connectors, turbo vgt sticking, soot blocking everything, cleaned and aligned everything, but still the hic-ups. But the 2.4 is a strong engine as I'm putting a tow bar on as we speak.
So my advice is, drive the car you want critically, and feel for anything that is abnormal. Ask the current owner if you car speak to the service centre too, can be enlightening. I found out after purchase that the timing belt had snapped and was repaired badly. So much as this is a negative crit. This diesel is different beast, pls enter with your eyes open, the emission control is flawed in mine. I hope this late 2010 model is better. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Have a read of the buyers guide in the stickies and have a look at the car, as far as I am concerned the 2.0 is the pick of the diesels, a re-designed EGR and DPF reduce (but not remove) issues with that. A bit less power than the 2.4 (but without the added weight, giving it better handling), you can also map it to similar levels as a stock 2.4 The 1.9 is more common but has more issues with the gearbox etc.

My advise is to get it mapped after you get it and blank the EGR (endless threads on this). other than that...enjoy!

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
My daily return commute is about 33 miles. The 2.4 diesel is a superb engine. It is only my second diesel (the first being a 1.9 in a GT). Problems so far have been limited. My 1.9 needed a lower turbo hose (rubs on transmission) and the EGR regularly cleaning.

I think perhaps the EGR needs cleaning on my 159. That has been it for diesel engine problems for me in five years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've an '09 ti auto, it has the dreaded stutter in slight acceleration, and I can't find a fix.
Gbymb

As per the "Slight Cough" thread, you really gotta try the EGR simulator. Fixed my stutter 100%. I can post photos if you want.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Recent timing belt kit and clutch is an advantage, both very common and over £1500 to replace both!!!! Check receipts and history carefully. I've ran diesels for some years now, albeit not Alfas and much newer versions but I've had no issues at all.

I'm new to diesel Alfas (159 2.4 210 version) and took my time to find the right one which has had this work done, a remap and EGR/DPF removal. There are plenty of enthusiasts out there who love their toys, look to find one of those if you can or budget to do the work yourself if needs be.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2011 2.0 JTDm TI. I would recommend it. Bought it at 35k, now done over 55k and engine hasn't had a single issue. As mentioned before if you let the car regen when it needs to, it's unlikely you will have much problems even without any mods, make sure your work commute allows this.

The problem's I've had is when I bought it, 2(!) wheel bearings were shot that were replaced under Sytner warranty, and also right headlight was letting in water, I bought the car on the condition that the headlight was replaced which they did.

Negative's though, for a 2.0 diesel, my 170bhp is very slow compared to the German options and also poor economy, I get 42mpg on my combined commute. My last car, BMW E46 320cd did 50mpg and was a bit quicker, despite having lower 150bhp. Although people on here would say that's not what you look at in an Alfa, and doesn't really bother me. I suppose I do miss having a coupe and RWD though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts