Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been living with the cloverleaf for a couple of weeks now but pretty much been trying to keep a lid on the revs and been mostly been poodling around town, the whole time its' been a like a caged animal, all noise but not actually getting anywhere.. I had to live without my bella for about a week after I dropped it into the dealer to have some small niggles sorted and the i-pod adaptor fitted but then couldn't get to back to pick her up, but when I got her back it was like christmas all over again!

I had a couple of decent trips over the past couple of days and the traffic has been much more forgiving and I've really been able to open the taps a bit..I've been trying to keep a lid on the hooliganism until now, but embarrased a Golf GTI at the lights and suprised a power ranger on some sort of Motorised Bicycle who was planning on leaving me in the dust on amber!

I realise that many puritans sneer at the Diesel Alfas but once you've driven one, it makes perfect sense. Admittatly, at idle it is distinctly Massey Ferguson but a blip of Revs and the distinctly "Duncan Bannatyne-esqe" growl brings a smile and all tractor references are forgotten :) There is a constant wall of torque from about 1500 Revs with the Sport button on..After 250K miles of Rover 75's I couldn't immediatly identifiy the squealling noise that seemed to be coming from the front of the car when pulling away, turns out it was the engine overwhelming the 18" rims, the TC AND the Q2!

I think I'll still keep the Rover for drives to Manchester, it is so effortless by comparison. But for general lunancy and anything less than intergalatic distances, the Alfa is SO much fun!

Niggles?

Well the Blaupunkt/Bose Combination is lousy, the £200 Sony H/Unit in my Rover wipes the floor with it.. As soon as I get some cash together I'm going to put in a new one (probably the Kenwood 8220)..

Total lack of practical driver compartment stowage, even less when I lose the cupholder..

Apart from that, Great! Definatly turns heads and caught a bunch of the sales guys I look after gazing dreamily at it the other day (something along the lines of "I remember what it was like to have no kids and disposable income", I suspect!)

Anyway,

What do all the other new owners think? I think that I'm smitten! :inlove:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Do yourself a favour and forget the Kenwood headunit, after having a few of them failing including a tv headunit, Ive switched to Alpine and Jvc in my two cars and they walkover the Kenwoods Ive had for sound quality. I had a kenwood KDC-W8531 last time and the cd mechanism failed just after the 12 months. Both the JVC AVX22 I have and the Alpine CDA-9855 swept the floor with it. The alpine is the better on for sound quality though!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I've looked at most of the top-end headunits and considered the Alpine and Pioneer but reading around the web, the Kenwood seems to be universally loved by it owners (the only one that seems to get at least 4/5 stars)..

What has indeared the Kenwood to me is the Sat Nav is sourced from Garmin and the Bluetooth from Parrot, Considering that I use the car for work a lot, these two features are really, really important to me.. The other thing is that those manufactures charge through the nose for fairly rubbish implemenations of "extras" such as BT and USB connectivity which these days IMO should be standard. The optional Sat Nav on the Alpine units is complete pony (compared to standaline units) from what I've read and costs in the region of £400; for about £340 I can get the top TomTom which will do everything bar power the speakers (just a shame there is no-where to put it in the GT that doesn't get in the way of something else) so I can't justify it.

Thanks for the heads up, tho; both the units you mention are much lower spec than the Kenwood and I've not uncovered any reliabiltiy problems with the 8000 series kenwoods, its supposed to be their flagship model so any congenital problems should be fairly widely reported..

I will make sure that get a decent warrenty when I buy tho!

Regards

Kendal

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds quality

The only reason I didn't go for a diesel is the 'distinctly Massey Ferguson' sound. Not sure I could cope with it in such a beautiful looking car.....performance wise though I think I made a mistake!

Can't believe you don't use it as your eveyday car though

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
I've had my GT 1.9 Lusso (150bhp) for about six weeks and done about 900miles and I love it.....it's down on power from my RX8 (231bhp) but it's a different drive....:) If i feel a bit flush in the wallet department, i'd diffenitely consider a remap for more power...:) but I love the look of the car and the looks it gets...

G

·
0 Posts
Did your RX-8 get as many admiring looks as the GT? I think the RX-8 is a good looking car but I've always had a soft spot for sporty Mazdas since the MX-3 V6 I owned a few years back. I bet you notice the difference in fuel costs!!!

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
The only reason I didn't go for a diesel is the 'distinctly Massey Ferguson' sound. Not sure I could cope with it in such a beautiful looking car.....performance wise though I think I made a mistake!
Totally agree, at the red dot meet last week they mapped a diesel to 200bhp, great I bet the thing flys, but listen to it. :vomit:

Everyone was all "i bet yo wish you bought the diesel now" NO!!! It sounds like the works van. :lol:

Graham, what air filter set up did you go for in you're GT?? The intake on the JTS is crazy, check this pic out of the intake:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/g5een/13092008003-1.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/g5een/13092008002-1.jpg

WTF??? a panel filter in the air box then a big long piece of drain pipe with a baffle like inside which sucks the air in from behind the ECU which is covered by a grey piece of cloth. I'd struggle to breath through that pipe in that location so the engine must be getting suffocated. :rant:

Was 145bhp (nice one Alfa :tut: )
Hows that for a thread hi-jack :p

G

·
0 Posts
I went for the Autodelta air intake. It was a bit odd to be honest. At first my mechanic says he couldn't put it in but after speaking to Autodelta they advised him to put it in upside down! I know what you mean about the original intake. It's hilarious!!!

145bhp....that's unreal. What were they thinking in advertising the cars as 165bhp? It's a bit gutting that the re-map doesn't even get it to the supposed bhp it's meant to be. Will definitely get it done though. Does it feel much quicker?

A few people have said to me I should have gone for the diesel but I show them the rosso red car with tan leather interior and then say imagine a diesel sound now on start up lol! Now if they tell me I should have gone for the V6 I would definitely agree!!!

Not a bad thread hi-jack but it's just one of those threads...it's already zoomed off into RX-8 talk along the way lol!

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I was talking to the guy who makes the GSR pipes and I'm thinking about trying one out. He took a few measurements etc in order to develop one but I just need to get in-touch with him to sort it out. In theory they are a cracking piece kit but in reality it may not be all it's hyped to be.

I made it clear that I was sceptical about this sort of thing, but he believe that with the GSR pipe/filter and a bit of mapping on the dyno 170-175bhp could be achieved. But it would be the low down power/torque increase that was more noticeable.

Only problem is that there over 220 miles away from me. :lol:

I'm also thinking about getting in-touch with ARUK to complain about the power output as in effect they have miss sold me a car through false advertising. Maybe trading standards if all else fails. Never know, might get told to fcuk off or I might get some money back or free servicing. :rolleyes: Don't ask, don't get. :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds quality

Can't believe you don't use it as your eveyday car though
It really doesn't bother me, it's only ever at idle can you tell, other than that it just goes rrrrrrrrooooooooooaaaaaAAAAAAARRRRR! :lol:

Not at the moment, saving it for weekends!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts