Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my XC90 is no more...after 9 years faithful service she caught fire this evening just as I was arriving home (towing a horse box and horse). Not sure what caused it yet, but probably diesel leakage in the engine bay.

So now I need a new vehicle and urgently. Needs: 7 seats; good for towing; ok off road (muddy fields in reality); ideally younger than 2010 with around 60k miles.

Budget is about £15k.

Any thoughts? Ive gone off volvo for the time being so don't want another XC90...

Attachments

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I seem to remember the Hyundai Santa Claus
and Kia Something rentals also had 7 seater
versions but that could be only in the US...

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh dear indeed - quite an evening. Nothing left of it, currently awaiting the recovery people to collect her :-(

My mechanic says Land cruiser, my heart says Disco, but seen a nice Nissan Pathfinder near by, but reviews say they are a bit agricultural...and not as tough as the Land Cruiser, which is probably as agricultural. But I am quite agricultural myself, so will probably find it fine...

Land cruisers are few and far between and hold their value. Loads of Disco's but Disco 4 for £15k = highish miles.

Can't get my head around a Kia or Hyundai for any sensible reason, other than in my mind they aren't robust, which is probably rubbish.

Will go and look at a Disco later on today I hope. But the budget is already going north.........

I blame Brexit.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They do an X5 with 7 seats, but I'm not sure they would be much good pulling a horse box through a muddy gateway on its 20" wheels....

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Did Mitsubishi do the Outlander in 7 ?

And Shîtroen did the CrossDresser in 7 too, I think.

Mate had a (2WD WFT?) Daewoo Craptiva which his wife said was very good for comfort.
But I bet that's all it was good for.

Got to be the V6 oilburner Disco then, I guess. :confused:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,563 Posts
I can't offer any advice Alfabeat (not very familiar with SUVs/4x4s) but wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about the Volvo. That must have been pretty scary.

Good luck with the replacement!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Did Mitsubishi do the Outlander in 7 ?

And Shîtroen did the CrossDresser in 7 too, I think.

Mate had a (2WD WFT?) Daewoo Craptiva which his wife said was very good for comfort.
But I bet that's all it was good for.

Got to be the V6 oilburner Disco then, I guess. :confused:
yes they did, but again foldup seats, like in the koreans. good for very small children, no one else really.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Glad you got the horse & trailer unhitched first.

Mercedes R Class?

Pigging ugly but available at around your budget/age

Will tow 3+tonnes as we considered one to replace our Jeep but bought a lorry instead. More reliable than a Disco

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Commiserations, alfabeat. That's pretty scary. What a shame the fire didn't stop where you photographed it. You could have sawn off the bonnet and hitched the remainder to your horses, Borat style.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Commiserations, alfabeat. That's pretty scary. What a shame the fire didn't stop where you photographed it. You could have sawn off the bonnet and hitched the remainder to your horses, Borat style.
Hmm yes - or turned it into a funky trailer. But alas, it is too far gone even for that!

Recovery people didn't turn up today, so its still sat on the lawn. We get a lot of walkers past our house and you can see them all looking at it. "This area has really gone down hill since last time we walked up here....!"

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't stop looking at R class mercs now. Would this be any better in a muddy gateway with a trailer than an X5 though?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts