1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I'd want them framed at that price :lol:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I returned from America after 10 years, didn't realise their was a charge for driving in London, got fined, appealed, got fined more, appealed again, lost and paid a boat load...w*nkers :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really didn't see any signs of certain roads being toll roads. But I was fined for driving in an area where I was supposed to have payed a fee. Could have been a taxi lane?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
EVERY road that enters the charging zone has a big circle with a "C" in it. I pass them so often I almost don't see them but I think they are solid red with with a white border and white "C". Every entry point also has a number plate recognition camera.

More European countries are putting registration data on computer and making it available to others.

The really frustrating point is that if you aren't sure if you have been into a charging zone no-one will confirm it either way. I often travel around the edges at Paddington and in the early days of travelling there I wasn't sure so rang the contact number and the only response I could get was that the first information they got was when a penalty notice was issued so I could either pay for something I may not have used or wait for the fine!

On the plus side it did mean that a stolen car of mine was picked up within days because the driver didn't realise that the cameras are also linked to the national police database.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
how do you know when you are entering the charging zone?
As kandlbarrett says.

Note the red circle with white 'C' on the road. There's also the sign at the left. You can also see the cameras ( 6 of them ) on a pole behind the Audi.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Grosvenor+Place,+London&hl=en&ll=51.500635,-0.149828&spn=0.004595,0.008057&sll=51.500617,-0.149826&sspn=0.004622,0.008057&vpsrc=6&hnear=Grosvenor+Pl,+London,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.500617,-0.149826&panoid=iVI3_tm10dkbYpGEJn-u9g&cbp=12,225.85,,0,0.48

I regularly drive down that street.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The really frustrating point is that if you aren't sure if you have been into a charging zone no-one will confirm it either way. I often travel around the edges at Paddington and in the early days of travelling there I wasn't sure so rang the contact number and the only response I could get was that the first information they got was when a penalty notice was issued so I could either pay for something I may not have used or wait for the fine!
It's a pain in the bum. The other month I was coming back around the ring road around King's Cross, just on the outside of the zone, and a fallen tree closed Swinton St forcing traffic up Acton St (in the zone) instead. When I got home I immediately rang them to check I wasn't going to be charged - what a palaver, the guy I got through to didn't know anything about it, got passed from pillar to post, they eventually acknowledged the problem and promised not to charge me.

All this to use a road a mile away from my home.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Its going to be even worse for commercial vehicle drivers from January - if your vehicle is older than 2002, if you dare to enter into the LEZ its £100/day fine........and the LEZ is effectively the whole of the area within the M25. Latest figures indicate that there are large numbers of van owners living within the LEZ who are either going to have to scrap or sell their vans very soon!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Have you got a picture from them? Would love to see it on here;)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But... Will I only know afterwards that I should have paid, not before that I'm suppose to pay?

In Stockholm we have toll roads. After a month you get a bill and have to pay, let's say, €2 for having used the road. But a fine of €60, that's just unfriendly.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
It is a bit harsh - but there are quite a lot of signs, and I suppose someone of an enquiring mind might wonder what all those big signs saying "C" might mean ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's probably not enforceable cross borders like that. What you received is probably a request to pay - dressed up to look like a fine.

I'd read it very carefully, and google it, before I would part with my sixty quid.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It is enforceable across borders I'm afraid, thanks to something called EUCARIS where all the Euro countries can collect each others fines. :(

The even worse news is, they're prolly relying on the money from this sort of legalised scam to prop up the Euro :mad:

·
Registered
831 Posts
there are signs all over the palce on roads approaching the CCZ and the LEZ especially the major arteries

ther are lots of signs leading up to the zones as well

normally if you are just skiritng the edge they can track you and should not chrage for a slight deviation it is only realy if you are in the zone for a long period of time or deep inside

I was working at a customer site just on teh edge and to get to it i had to dip in and out several times and was never charged

for any reason, such as a detour they can switch off teh cameras or ignore pics from a camfor a period of time

the reason why I know this? I helped design architect and implement the back office systems

1 - 20 of 26 Posts