Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from work today in my new german coupe the one that replaced my GT!! And i feel in a position to now from the other side as it were to actually describe what i miss and what made the GT so dam special.

Alfa have actually managed to make something so special with the GT. During my ownership all i heard was it was an old chassis and a parts bin from the 156 and 147!! And i've got to be honest it actually upset me that such a special car got such a branding. But guess what for an old design from bits and bobs by god it works!!

The part that made it for me, mile after mile was the feedback from the car!! the steering was magnificent, the steering felt so alert and for me perfectly weighted. The car felt like it was poised and ready to negotiate any sharp turn or chicane. I was fortunate enough to have a car with a very good chassis set up, and this only accentuated the cars natural talent. The way you could throw the car around was pure driving bliss. And what amazed me the most was the amount of grip the chassis had, the rear end when really pushing hard just dug in to find such astonishing levels of adhesion.

Ok lets be honest the Gt has its problems, i was never keen on the poor clutch action, and the gearbox was not the best i have ever driven.

But having moved on you realise what you miss, the Alfa Gt has something so special that i have never felt in another car. Whether Alfa meant to create such a great drivers car, or whether it was a coincidence does not matter because they have.

I was actually proud to drive an alfa to, get away from the snobby german "look what i drive" sheep brands! I feel the Alfa brand is well respected within the petrol head community. I hate the fact i have become another bloody sheep!! Its like im wearing a suit that doesn't suit me!!Suppose i have to face facts my heart is still with my GT!!

Damien.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't ask Graham! please.;) Plus it doesn't really matter. I even think if i had bought a 159 ti i would miss the GT.

Damien.

G

·
0 Posts
Don't ask Graham! please.;) Plus it doesn't really matter. I even think if i had bought a 159 ti i would miss the GT.

Damien.
Eh? How comes its a secret? I like all (most) cars not just Alfas :lol:

...and if it's a Scirocco for example then I like them lots

G

·
0 Posts
I always come back to the GT...not because I prefer it to the 159 but it is proper value for money considering how good looking it is

...and a bit less complicated. No DPF in the diesel for example and the 3.2 engine being much better

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Graham,
You obviously missed the guessing game thread that MB games have bought the rights to. In the thread we hounded Damien into telling us he'd bought a TT sport (stripped out, lightened, faster).
I'd doubted the FSd- eibach springs that Damien and I had, a couple of weeks ago I realised I simply wasn't driving fast enough. Went on some roads I know well and boy does that set up work well.
Damien, remind me again did u have Goodyear asymmetrical on? My Bro just put some on his GTV V6, drove to Cornwall last night in full on rain, reckons they are superb.

·
Banned
857 Posts
Whether Alfa meant to create such a great drivers car, or whether it was a coincidence does not matter because they have.
Of course it wasn't. When others are using McPherson strut front suspension and trailing rear arms because they are the 'best compromise' and Alfa are being criticised for an 'overcomplicated and expensive' front and rear suspension set-up in what is supposed to be a mainstream car, they do it for a reason.

Same reason as years ago why the 'Sud used inboard brake discs and didn't need a strut brace because the engine firewall sat centrally between the suspension turrets.....

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Graham,
You obviously missed the guessing game thread that MB games have bought the rights to. In the thread we hounded Damien into telling us he'd bought a TT sport (stripped out, lightened, faster).
I'd doubted the FSd- eibach springs that Damien and I had, a couple of weeks ago I realised I simply wasn't driving fast enough. Went on some roads I know well and boy does that set up work well.
Damien, remind me again did u have Goodyear asymmetrical on? My Bro just put some on his GTV V6, drove to Cornwall last night in full on rain, reckons they are superb.
Yes i was on goodyear asymmetric's , what a fantastic all round tyre that was. In dryer weather really try pushing the car a bit!! You will be amazed how she grips!! Here in east sussex we have some great roads, and country road roundabout sections, i used to accelerate hard when exiting the roundabouts, and the way the rear hunkered down and gripped was a magical moment!! Set the rear eibach ARB to its hardest setting.... bloody magic!!:thumbs:

Its funny but the quattro sport TT i own now is harder work to drive than the GT, which used to make childs play of some twisty roads. Yes its much faster than my remapped GT, but to be honest in the real world its not all about out and out speed. The Gt's torque, handling and 200ish bhp was more than enough, to make an absolute fool of some very expensive machinery!!:thumbs:
Damien.

Damien.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Same reason as years ago why the 'Sud used inboard brake discs and didn't need a strut brace because the engine firewall sat centrally between the suspension turrets.....
its called unsprung weight regards the sud ...ahead of their time but didnt realise problems with heat

156 is same as sud in firewall suspension turrets:thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts