Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The speed awareness course was excellent. Really well packaged, well presented, and sold to me in 5 minutes by the promise that I'd never be stuck on a road again wondering what the speed limit was. Judging by the rest of the room, lack of knowledge about basic highway code stuff was a factor for several.

Also interesting, but unsurprising, that in the face of such a positive session there were still a couple of proper bellsniffs on the course. Arsey, whining gits, making excuses and being antisocial - one was almost 60.

It started with "hands up those for whom it is their first time caught speeding....." 80% of the room signalled....

"Had a good run, didn't you?"

Grown up, insightful and, I will honestly say, has made me think,and has changed some habits.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I found mine very informative and I actually enjoyed it.

But I do wonder about other drivers on the road, when there was an Eastern European woman on the course who brought along a translator. Makes me worried about how they read road signs and whether they ever passed a UK Driving Test or are still using their own country's European license.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
The speed awareness course was excellent. Really well packaged, well presented, and sold to me in 5 minutes by the promise that I'd never be stuck on a road again wondering what the speed limit was. Judging by the rest of the room, lack of knowledge about basic highway code stuff was a factor for several.

Also interesting, but unsurprising, that in the face of such a positive session there were still a couple of proper bellsniffs on the course. Arsey, whining gits, making excuses and being antisocial - one was almost 60.

It started with "hands up those for whom it is their first time caught speeding....." 80% of the room signalled....

"Had a good run, didn't you?"

Grown up, insightful and, I will honestly say, has made me think,and has changed some habits.
Sounds exactly like my experience of it when I attend one in July. I'm much more careful about checking my speed and adhering to limits now. They facilitator said something at the end of the course along the lines that 1 in 4 on the course would reoffend in 5 years. Not sure that is exactly right but it did surprise me at how effeticve the course seemed to be.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Sounds exactly like my experience of it when I attend one in July. I'm much more careful about checking my speed and adhering to limits now. They facilitator said something at the end of the course along the lines that 1 in 4 on the course would reoffend in 5 years. Not sure that is exactly right but it did surprise me at how effeticve the course seemed to be.
If you manage to get beyond 3 and then get caught you can usually do the course again! Keep the points off the licence.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
My experience as well. Having done two I can confirm that a gap of more than three years resets the parameters.

What I find strange is the Speed Awareness courses are only considered suitable for marginal offenders. Go more than the set amount of mph over the limit and there is no option but to take the fine and points. Surely the real speed merchants are even more in need of being made aware of the consequences of speeding and how to keep to the limits.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
The answer is simple. Get Waze and have it running every time you drive the car. It alerts you to fixed cameras, though if you get caught by one of those you deserve to get the points. It also alerts you to (crowdsourced) mobile sites. I’ve never managed to be the first to report a mobile camera van - every single time I have passed one in the last 2 years, Waze has given me a warning half a mile before I saw it.

This has probably saved me 6 points and a ban in the last 12 months....

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
I can’t believe it........44 years driving and I’ve just got my first speeding ticket last weekend. :vs_lol:

Just sent off the driver details, grassed myself up. :lol:

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
I found mine very informative and I actually enjoyed it.

But I do wonder about other drivers on the road, when there was an Eastern European woman on the course who brought along a translator. Makes me worried about how they read road signs and whether they ever passed a UK Driving Test or are still using their own country's European license.
You know the answer.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
They facilitator said something at the end of the course along the lines that 1 in 4 on the course would reoffend in 5 years. Not sure that is exactly right but it did surprise me at how effeticve the course seemed to be.
Does that suggest it's effective? Or that rates of detection are low? To put it another way - how many years before they did the course had the people there been speeding before they were caught in the first place? If it was 5 years or more, than implies that if it takes them 5 years to get caught again, they have quite possibly not changed their habits at all.

I've been driving, and sometimes speeding, for 24 years and never had a ticket. I like to think that's because I only speed in appropriate situations / circumstances - but I'm sure others would disagree. (Appropriate to me means good visibility, good conditions, light traffic - and even then by about 10mph.)
So maybe the reason I've never had a ticket is because I already follow (some of) the guidelines the course shares. Or maybe that re-offended rate isn't very impressive. :D

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
What I find strange is the Speed Awareness courses are only considered suitable for marginal offenders. Go more than the set amount of mph over the limit and there is no option but to take the fine and points. Surely the real speed merchants are even more in need of being made aware of the consequences of speeding and how to keep to the limits.
That's a really interesting point. Maybe larger speeds should make the course mandatory as well as a fine and points?
But maybe they have already decided (or found by experimentation) that the people doing ridiculous speeds are the people who won't listen at all.

There was a guy on the C63 facebook page the other day bemoaning getting caught doing something like 110mph on the motorway, asking for advice about what to expect in court. In the conversation he then admitted that while waiting for his court date he's got caught doing 90 in a 50 zone. Talk about learning from your mistakes. The scary bit was the amount of people who sympathised and saw the speed cameras which caught him as the problem, not him.
I really don't think I belong there, despite the car I drive.

·
Premium Member
77,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Another conversation on my SAC was the one about speed cameras being a cash cow.

How many mobile speed camera vans in County Durham? Two

One wag sneered that it wasn't the same in N Yorks. He was right. Four in N Yorks.

I could be fined £100 or pay £75 for a SAC which has to cost something. They even gave me tea and biscuits.

It doesn't seem to be a ruthlessly efficient business model.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
As stated read the enclosed documents carefully.

Only pay the fine if you DO NOT want to take up the offer of the SAC.

Personally I would take the offered SAC.

Check your insurance some companies require SAC to be declared others don't.

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
I’m aware of speed, both types, and it’s effects. :lol:

The disclosure I asked for is two lovely photos of my car allegedly doing 37mph in a 30 zone.

I think the course will be informative. Always willing to learn.

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
My options for the course are a local (3 miles) well-to-do golf course conference centre or a local-ish (9 miles) well-to-do hotel.

I’ve opted for the hotel, much less chance of bumping into ex colleagues at the hotel. :lol:

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I also enjoyed my SAC.

One guy arrived 10 minutes late and was refused entry- much to his annoyance. I expect he claimed he couldn't have arrived on time without speeding but either way he was shown the door.

One young motorbikist was a complete Tim "Nice But Dim" Young Tory type - who decided to waste all of our time with a 10 minute argument with the guy giving the course over the statistic about traffic jams costing the UK economy 10 billion per year (or some such made up number). Tim "Nice But Tory Boy" decided to show us all how clever he was by trying to explain how that would equate to a GDP of 1 billion trillion or some other nonsense and it was only when another guy on his table told him to pack it in as he had a date afterwards that he shut up.

You get all sorts.

The info on smart motorways was really fascinating.

Anyway - I've popped into the thread to admit that I just got an 80 quid fine for driving a car while it was SORN. A fair cop, and my own stupid fault (I drove it to the garage to pump up the tyres before it was sold) - but just goes to show that those fixed cameras do more than just catch speeders. They have ANPR built in too so it seems.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
My options for the course are a local (3 miles) well-to-do golf course conference centre or a local-ish (9 miles) well-to-do hotel.

I’ve opted for the hotel, much less chance of bumping into ex colleagues at the hotel. :lol:
Unfortunately for you it is likely to be an ex colleague running the course. :lol: Certainly the Humberside ones are run by traffic officers (current or retired I am not sure)

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
One knobhead copper, that I didn’t want to talk to and didn’t know that well, accosted me in a cafe while out with my grandkids. I told him he was mistaken and the copper in the family was my twin brother who was the black sheep of the family. The gullible idiot apologised and walked off. :)

I may use that story again.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
The course I attended about 4 years ago was run by a private company. I think the tutors were ex professional drivers but not police. I think.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts