Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Sorry to hear this, SIF. Kudos for fessing up. Could happen to any of us.

·
Registered
37,193 Posts
This sucks Steve. I think I have been very lucky myself not to get collared.

I was under the impression though that they were meant to be a deterrent to speeding. I am not sure how that can be if you didn't even know you committed an offence until the NIP arrived.

I will resist the urge to rant about real crime being rampant and the police not doing much about it.

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
I think the speed awareness course has more impact than a fine because it does just make you think about it a bit. There's a lot of useful stuff about establishing what the speed limit is when there aren't signs.

I also think that the presence of traffic cars used to have a deterrent effect. These days they are too busy with untaxed, uninsured Muppets driving on a provisional with no MoT and bald tyres.

·
Registered
12,502 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I was under the impression though that they were meant to be a deterrent to speeding. I am not sure how that can be if you didn't even know you committed an offence until the NIP arrived.
That is the deterrent though isn't it? They could be anywhere now with mobile units so the idea is to obey the limits at all times rather than just slowing down for a known camera. I'm not saying I'm whiter than white but you have to hold your hands up when caught.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Distance between street lighting denotes speed limit where no signs are posted.

Other road calming measures in the absence of signage also denote “SLOW THE FRIG DOWN”. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Built-up_area_(Highway_Code)
I don't get this bit:

Direction 11 of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 (TSRGD 2002) defines the requirements for the placing of speed-limit repeater signs. This states that speed-limit repeater signs cannot be placed along a road on which there is carriageway lighting not more than 183 metres apart and which is subject to a 30 mph speed limit. The Department will not make exceptions to this rule.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I don't get this bit:

Quote:
Direction 11 of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 (TSRGD 2002) defines the requirements for the placing of speed-limit repeater signs. This states that speed-limit repeater signs cannot be placed along a road on which there is carriageway lighting not more than 183 metres apart and which is subject to a 30 mph speed limit. The Department will not make exceptions to this rule.
What it means is that if it's a 30 limit as defined by the distance between street lights & no higher limit is in force they can't erect 30 limit repeaters; I don't see the logic in that . A couple of our local roads have had short stretches where the limit has been raised to 40 so that repeaters can be used, so we have the crazy situation where traffic has been speeded up to slow it down.

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
IIRC

If there are street lights on a single carriageway road, the limit is 30 unless there are repeaters saying otherwise. If it's unlit, national speed limit (60) applies unless the signs say otherwise. Dual carriageways with a proper reservation are national speed limit (70) unless signs and repeaters say otherwise.

If the limit changes there will be a full size sign to tell you.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
SiF 1st things 1st, Check the date of the offence and the date of the letter and when it arrived. There should be no more than 14 days between the offense and the letter arriving.

Note this is if you are the registered owner. I tried to argue that it was 28 days for mine to come through. But as my car is leased it is 14 days to the lease company and then they have up to 3 months (I think) to notify me after the lease company send them my details.

A friend did get off on this as his NIP arrived after the 14 day period.

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
I've often wondered how you actually prove that it arrived late.

·
Super Moderator
44,913 Posts
What if they indoctrinate him, and he comes back on to the forum treating people who speed the same as he treats people who have plastic grass? :eek:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Blimey. I didn't know the police hide between the tunnels there. I might have to be a bit careful myself about enjoying the V8 going through them.
That said, I never go through them at ridiculous pace - my method is to slow down to a crawl first so I can enjoy some acceleration without hitting warp speed. Probably still means I'm maxing out at a good 20mph above the limit though, for all of a couple of seconds.
Neither did I. I shan't be trying any noise runs there again. Ever.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts