Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a silver V6 GTV today, yaah! but i'm going to sorely miss my 156 2.5 that i p/xed with a friend :cry:. The GTV looks great, goes great, stops mediocre ish but it's early days yet.
One thing that it is nowhere near as good at as the 2.5 is ride & handling.
Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced suspension kit.

Only thing to sort out immediately is the exhaust is blowin a bit from in front of the rear suspension cross beam i think & i've only got the dark red squarish key, is this the master key?.
I've just ordered the small operating button for the Meta fob, extortionately priced. :eek:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Excellent well done i know you have been looking for ages looking firward to seeing it at ameet. you need eibach springs original front dampers and KYB dampers to rear trabsforns the crashing and baning over bumps

what colour is interior

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
Has the back end been powerflexed yet?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent well done i know you have been looking for ages looking firward to seeing it at ameet. you need eibach springs original front dampers and KYB dampers to rear trabsforns the crashing and baning over bumps

what colour is interior
Hiya, it's red & in rather good nick :) Give me a nudge when we next meet.
Interesting combination. Gaz.

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
As far as i'm aware Dan, yes.
Then if you're sure your handling is not quite right, but it doesn't sound knocky/bangy like something is obviously worn out, its probably going to be the shocks at fault. Opposite to what you'd expect, the rears seem to be worst for wearing out, so I'd start with those. Mine had a pair at about 70k.

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
Is yours a CF2? How do you find the engine compared to the GTA out of interest?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is yours a CF2? How do you find the engine compared to the GTA out of interest?
Sort of 'longer legged' than the GTA, not the same full on brute power but obviously more powerful & smoother than the 2.5.
Needless to say the air bag light came on this morning!!
CF2, not sure?, V reg 2000 plate.

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
Yeah thats a CF2, its a nicer drive than the later ones.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Seen this mentioned a few times now about replacing rear shocks to improve a 'crashy' ride - I'm a little confused, two questions please:

- if shocks are worn out, wouldn't that make the ride softer, not harder? Or are the originals over-hard or something?
and
- KYB shocks on my 2001 Punto Sporting were standard fit and very hard - if you've driven one, you'll know what I mean...

Not wanting to start an argument but I'm keen to do the right thing with my Spider - it has a choppy (pitching) kind of ride, seems too stiff at the back to me. I thought with front-heavy cars it was better to have stiff suspension at the front and soft at the rear (like my old 164), seems new shocks to the rear only would be the opposite... so I'm just looking for confirmation and consensus here of what's needed, thanks :thumbs:

-Alex

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have been told by Autolusso that putting a Fiat 20v turbo front anti-roll bar on it sharpens up the steering nicely. That can't be too expensive from a scrap yard.

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
I am really suprised that it doesn't handle as well as a 2.5 156.

Many years ago I went from a nearly new sportpacked 156 V6 to a nearly new GTV and the GTV's handling was much better.

Something really isn't right with it somewhere if it isn't handling as well.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have been told by Autolusso that putting a Fiat 20v turbo front anti-roll bar on it sharpens up the steering nicely. That can't be too expensive from a scrap yard.
Never heard that before, might look into giving it a go!! Doesn't the TS have a thicker rear anti-roll bar than the V6?? Would that be a good combination????

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
We've used the Eibach front anti-roll bar for the 155 in a few GTVs now, who mentioned the 20vt bar? They all have the same front end so most bits interchange fairly easily.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts