Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been after a decent/OE-ish looking replacement knob for my GT Clover since the day I picked her up.

The OE knob's metal coating is peeling, its slicing my hand up, its far too light in the hand and my wedding ring was bashing against the solid top. All very annoying.

Anyone in a similar dilema has probably read these threads:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/291596-where-can-i-find-a-6-speed-gt-gear-knob.html
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/134171-gt-cloverleaf-rubbish-gear-knob.html
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/562585-i-need-a-new-knob.html
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/312635-richbrook-gear-knob-gear-sleave-gt.html

Not being satisfied with any of the options presented, which included a new OE knob from Alfa for a princely sum, grinding chunks out of a Richbrook and paying a million yen for some knock-off Alfa badged jobbie, I set out to find something better (imho):

pomello - special college

Solid aluminium, leatherette top, OE-ish looking, fits the lift up reverse collar perfectly, count me a happy boy :)

Fitting was a breeze, after I got the OE knob off. The rumours are true, just keep twisting it anti-clockwise; it's on a thread but mine was also epoxied on. Some serious two handed effort required... no gags please ;)

Only 10 left on Amazon UK, and only £30 so hopefully this will help somebody else out who's in a similar situation:

Amazon.co.uk - Simoni Racing COL/N

:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Well done brother that is nice, and definitely in line with the interior styling..:thumbs:

Does it feel better ergonomically in your hand than the small oem?

Damien.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Yes! At the risk of never ending innuendo, a larger heavy knob always feels better in the hand. :cheese:
:D I did my best to steer clear of the knob gags ...:lol:

Anyhow enjoy your knob mate..:thumbs:

Damien.

D

·
0 Posts
I need a new knob mine is worn out and looking scabby so it needs changing.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Depends if you want leather or not, I know I prefer it, knob wise :D
Dex how in gods name do you remove a cloverleaf gearknob pal? I tried to unscrew it but it keeps on twisting?

Damien.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Just keep turning it anti-clockwise mate. I had to put some herculean effort into getting it moving, my hands are still hurting slightly now :( /wuss

The inner thread on the knob is about an inch long, so just keep at it mate. It's tight because it's also epoxied on...
You were not kidding mate...:lol: Bloody hell that thing was hard to come off..And when it did i had epoxy all over my interior..lol..Never mind all hoovered up..

Right the good bit.. I honestly hate copying peeps for he sake of it, but the Simoni racing knob is just beautiful,simplistic, classy and just goes so with the interior, infact looks factory end of. Dex mate you are the knob king..lol.

Took a bit of fettling to get fitted right. The spring operation mechanism on the reverse gear, but after a bit of trial and error all operates smoothly. Ergonomically like Dex said it just feels right in the palm of your hand. Adds to the whole driving experience. So much better than the poxy skinny plastic oem item.

Thanks again for sharing mate. Another cloverleaf owner here well and truly chuffed with his knob..:thumbs:

Damien.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Excellent news! I built up to a super tight fitting by wrapping black electricians tape around the rubber insert, quite important as there's only one securing screw.

Glad you're pleased with it mate :thumbs:
Yes me too, i used a little bit of cloth tape to form a tight fit. I was amazed there was only one grub screw to secure it, but it seems to work. :thumbs:

Damien.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
ordered one...

nice looking er...is there another word I can use ..?

nope!

my current one has the ali peeling as well.probs good for 6 mths but nice to know I have a replacment ready to go..

good find Dex!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts