Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my cars finally bedded in fully, as it's been running super sweet, better than ever and been getting good MPG for winter. I took this shot because it was a milestone I suppose :p and I've been doing a 12 mile town drive every day for the last 2 weeks (apart from a single 20 mile motorway blast), expected the avg mpg to be roughly 40-44mpg on the trip computer; for that driving and time of the year and was surprised to see the attached.

Hardly had any mini-regens kick in (which might be helped by the v-power), I literally think it feels like the engines just got slightly better and better up till roughly the 30000 mile mark where it's leveled off.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah only notice them probably once every 1000 miles when the car isn't being used most days of the week. It only happens when the engine hits optimal temperature, you hear the noise from the engine bay sounds slightly louder, the instant mpg trip reports alot less mpg than normal as you drive and start stop won't come on even though it's been working fine all the time up till that point. It usually only lasts maybe 4-5 mins on the motorway maybe 7-8 minutes on normal road then the cars back to Normal and drives better.

However when I was driving over the motorways every day for work, like you said I used to get a full regen every 4-5k miles and it would last like 12-20 mins depending on the road I was driving at the time.

·
Registered
35,695 Posts
I had 55555 on the mileage a few weeks back!
A long way since the 5 or so when I drove out of the showroom in 2011. I generally use v-power on the MA.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I thought mine was getting a bit choked up, couldn't put my finger on exactly why, anyway I did a trip along the motorway in 5th for about 40 miles. When I stopped it had the tell-tale tick-tick of the exhaust contracting after the heat. On the way back it felt much livelier almost as if it had been serviced! Just trying to keep it above 2000 rpm seems to be where it makes a difference (swirl flaps deactivated at this rpm!!)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
55555 seems like quite a long way away for me seems as I'm only usually driving the G about 3 days a week now but definetly a milestone.

Yeah definitely drives better after a good blast if it's not been getting a good run around, I usually cruise at 60 in 4th (or if only around town, keep it in second) to give it a good help along if I feel it's started a regen.

But I must say this has been a dream car really, still makes me feel really happy and special to drive, no issues apart from a dead alternator when I picked it up (making it easily the most reliable car me or my partner have ever had) and still a beautiful stand out car on the road. Some may say I was mad to choose an Alfa and some may say I may not own a true Alfa, however it does a brilliant job of feeling and making you feel special.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Mines up for its first MOT on Monday, not expecting any problems what so ever.

Mine is a company car on a lease but apart from the wiring loom in the boot has been reliable and so much more. Despite what everyone said about it when I got it!

Will be down to the Alfa garage for another one in September (Thought it was going to be March but work made me keep for another 6 months!). They did offer to swap it for a basic civic! I said no thanks very quickly. Might have hesitated for a Type R though!

Fingers crossed this hasn't jinxed anything. The car has been sitting on my drive for the last two weeks while I work abroad. Fingers crossed for Saturday when I get home. It's not let me down previously when I've done this.

Julian

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
My 28500 mile GQV is due in March. I know the brake pads were 60% worn at last service (actually first service) 6000 miles ago so I am expecting to replace them as I don't drive economically.

Other than the possibility of a new pair of front tyres and the aforementioned pads I don't envisage anything either. I am eternally bored of the car now though but nothing to do with the car itself.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear there's still happy alfa drivers out there, although Nick whats your plans if your bored?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Glad to hear there's still happy alfa drivers out there, although Nick whats your plans if your bored?
It's PCP and with the facelift model coming out so soon after purchase I am in negative equity.

Going to ride out the next couple of years on PCP and then buy a car for cash probably under £2000 as I will get bored again inevitably.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still don't understand the finance options at all, I've tended to save for a year or two and buy outright like you mentioned (the G being a big stretch over what I used to pay for a car). However we then needed to buy a second car for the first time and found that a personal loan works quite well with £250 a month for 2 years and only £275 of the total loan is interest then we own the car, no final payment.

However I'm looking at a second hand Jag XF/XJ in the next few years and they are between 20-25k so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and maybe take a finance deal.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If I do go for a newer car, probably going to get a straight lease. 3+24 or something. Touch wood the G has been OK so far but I am hesitant to keep the car on finance without a warranty which runs out in April.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
However I'm looking at a second hand Jag XF/XJ in the next few years and they are between 20-25k so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and maybe take a finance deal.
Isn't that something of a backward step though - I mean if you've been able to buy outright previously :thinking:

...unless of course you can get an interest free deal. :spin:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't that something of a backward step though - I mean if you've been able to buy outright previously

...unless of course you can get an interest free deal.
Yeah that's how it kind of feels but I don't know if I can wait another 3 years to safely save up and I don't think places would do 0% deals on second hand purchases.

Although because i like the 2011 facelifts better than new 2016 versions, I suppose I will be able to get better deals in about a year or so if I wait and could look at a possible 0% personal loan again.

As much as I regret its not an Alfa I think if I do get a jag XF/XJ it's a good alternative and there's not really anywhere to go after that for someone on a humble wage so I would likely have it for probably upto 10 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts