Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year, I had to sell my 159. I really loved this car, but it felt a bit "clinical". I missed the sound of my older 156 2.0TS, but the 2.2 JTS engine had its own merits, and the chassis was truly remarkable.

After several months with an interim Fiat, I found a 04' Rosso Alfa 156 2.5 V6. It was well cared, with full service history. Earlier that week, I drove a 3.2 GT that left wanting an Alfa V6, so this 156 was a good chance to return to Alfa, especially after listening to it!!!

I finally bought it, and I'm glad to be back with Alfa. I read somewhere that the 2.5 V6 had low torque in the low end of the rpm range, but certainly It doesn't feel like that. It pull linearly, with a profound bass at about 2k-3k rpm, then a full blown orchestra over that. Every movement of the accelerator pedal gets an immediate response, with no hesitation.

Now, again, I can smile when I start the engine. The deep burble at the front, the deep bass at the exhaust.

Now I'm fixing some minor faults:
- A misaligned panel in one side of the dashboard.
- A few stone chips.
- A disbalanced wheel.
- Part of the "2.5 V6 24V" badge missing.

And I need help with the last item. Here in my country (Chile), some small items, like badges, tend to be expensive. Somebody knows about a website where I can purchase this kind of parts?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yes, ebay is good. You'll probably pay more for postage though.
I'm surprised you think the low end torque is good, my old Squadra'd 1.8 16v 155 had more top gear go than a 2.5 156 up to about 70-80mph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember, I'm comparing the low end torque of the 2.5 V6 with the 2.0 TS and the 2.2 JTS. The latter is similar to the V6, but the 159 is a heavier car.

Maybe the V6 has a flatter curve (at least that appears in the brochure).

Of course, the 2.5 V6 has its drawbacks: the nose feels heavier, obviously it's less frugal, but its overtaking ability is very good.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The 2.5 V6 torque curve looks more like a power curve with a hernia.:lol: Visit Squadra Tuning to view some power and torque curves.;)

I agree, the 2.5 V6 has more torque than a 1.8, but with the greater weight and slighlty higher gearing, I find the gears really need to be worked.
Perhaps how we percieve the torque curves depend on what scale they are presented in.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
I found the 2.5 pretty gutless up to 4,000rpm as well. However the TS engines don't feel that much different in that most power and torque is higher up the rev range.

The 2.5 does pull ok at lower RPM, but it really takes off at higher RPM.

For torque you need a 3 litre. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove a 3.2 GT before the 156 2.5, and of course I noticed the tremendous difference in torque. But my previous Alfa were all twin sparks. Maybe I got too used to their comparatively low torque at low rpms.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
On the 145 forum there is a guy who is thinking of fitting a 2.5 to his 145 QV. I said to him that for all the effort of fitting it, he may as well go for a 3 litre.

Another guy said the 2.5 was a better choice because it sounds better and revs better. :confused:

The only thing I think is better with the 2.5 is that it is slightly smoother than the 3 litre, but what do you reckon Pud?

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
When I drove a 2.5 it just felt like a slower version of mine, quite a lot slower. Maybe a second more to sixty? Not as revvy but it was on standard exhaust/intake and wasn't chipped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts