Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to give an update on this thread of my exploits in upgrades to my GTV

If reading for first tome or to remind you car is a 1999 Phase 2 3.0 CF2. Thus numbers are for a 20 year old car. The idea was to do something a litttle bit to add to the other changes on car mainly handling by a small tweak to power delivery. Hopefully my journey on this will give some shortcuts for anyone else who goes down route.

Basic modifications as far as engine power.
Jim K 10.0 cams timed with standard 3.0 cam locks.
Alfaholics downpipes and 200 cell sports CAT.
Enlarged Cayenne throttle body.

Initially when cams fitted we put in a set of orange CF3 injectors. (This it turned out was in error thinking a good idea!) which took some time to figure out. Further comment says it can be done but involves further adaptations however my view is stick with CF2 injectors perhaps having them cleaned for an easier life.

On all the Dyno charts “ Stock” = before changes to MAP. All shown in solid lines. It does not represent Alfa manfactuers new from factory quoted numbers.

The tuned output post MAP are shown on the dotted lines.

Red on charts showing Engine power (BHP) at wheels, Blue showing Torque (Nm) at wheels.

Attached in order Dyno graph from first Map in August 18.

So at that stage running rough and pre map showing
BHP 176.4 at wheels (estimate 212.5 at engine) @ circa 6200 rpm.
Torque Nm 210.7 at wheels (estimate 253.8 at engine) @ 5700.

Post map showing is on 1st Dyno however not so very relevant as injectors changed before this weeks remap it did improve however as said on forum. The real driving great improvement was noticed having swapped injectors back to the white CF2 ones. Thus lesson for anyone be careful what your doing if you change injector types.

The second set of Dyno charts show this weeks results.

“ Stock” = before changes to new MAP so how last years remap on CF3 injectors appear before more tweaks. All show in solid lines. Back to CF2 injectors being only change.

Does not represent Alfa manfactuers new from factory numbers.

The re-tuned output post MAP are shown on the dotted lines.

Red on charts showing Engine power (BHP) at wheels, Blue showing Torque (Nm) at wheels.

Results post new MAP today.

BHP 197.2 at wheels (estimate 237.6 at engine) @ circa 6100rpm.
Torque Nm 229.8 at wheels (estimate 276.8 at engine) @ 6100rpm

Lastly I have uploaded a chart from today which shows air fuel ratios not sure if useful.

Different Dyno will give different results hence my testing was kept on same Dyno.

Any comments welcome as quite hard getting useful comparisons from a stock GTV of similar age? .

Likewise I found that not that much information was easy to find on sensible tuning options on these cars unlike modern cars.

If anyone is interested in much of the story you can track back through 18 pages about this Cam upgrade and where others have go to can in the GTA thread area and thread https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/539873-jim-k-gta-performance-camshafts-group-buy-18.html)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Small update traced a fault to throttle potentiometer wiring and signal. Will at some point get car checked again on Fuel/Air mixtures as would be great if a few more horses have been hidden. Apparently throttle potentiometer was also angled so reach max 75% signal when working. Had an intermittent fault that was reporting low signal from throttle potentiometer previously.

Not sure if the graph of AFR from last Dyno suggests anything?

Currently working on some bodywork issues so may be a few weeks before can feed back conclusively.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the same engine, and am considering the red CF3 injectors. As far as i know now, they have a specific position which must be kept, otherwise no gain. So best to use the CF3 Fuel rails. Did you do this?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same engine, and am considering the red CF3 injectors. As far as i know now, they have a specific position which must be kept, otherwise no gain. So best to use the CF3 Fuel rails. Did you do this?
Sorry just seen this , no I learnt about the exact positioning after I had swapped back to the CF2 white injectors again. I have since had issues of car running rich and appearing to have lost its mapping. So losing about 20hp at wheels again. I have garage investigations going on again? car is in lockdown there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts