Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
45,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread brought this to mind.

Zorro - The Gay Blade
An Austin Powers-esque spoof of the Zorro myth, starring George Hamilton. Probably rather politically incorrect these days, but I saw it when I was about 12 and found it funny then.

Armed and Dangerous
Comedy with John Candy. Again, found it hilarious as a teenager, might not now. Looking back, not sure whether Meg Ryan in lingerie might have endeared me too it at the time. :D

The Emperor's New Groove
Disney cartoon starring John Goodman and David Spade, but with the show entirely and brilliantly stolen by Patrick Warburton as Kronk. Despite this one being the childrens film of the three, I've actually watched it far more recently (and have it on DVD). I remember going to see it at the cinema, there was us, and about 6 kids with accompanying adults in the entire cinema. The kids all sat beautifully through the film, while I was absolutely wetting myself throughout. I whoeheartedly recommend this film to anyone - but everyone who has watched it on that recommendation has told me I'm totally wrong :(

Anyone got any of their own? And more interestingly, anyone seen these films and have an opinion on them?

K

·
0 Posts
Cinema Paradiso.

Such a wonderful sentimental tribute to 20th century cinema.

A film with a huge heart.

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
The french "Taxi" films, i love em with the supped up 406:lol:

Also Raise The Titanic, is probably my favourite film of all time, i just love the idea behind it. Though saying that the book is much much better:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
There's a not very often shown romance/chick flick which I must say I saw once ages ago and recall really enjoying. It's called "Mr Wonderful" and stars Matt Dillon.

Saw it again recently and still thought it was good. Not very macho I know, but sometimes films just get to you.

Also years ago I saw a terrific in-line skating film called (I think) "Airborne" or similar. Supporting actor was the guy who always plays Dr Evil's son in the Austin Powers films - Seth Green. Probably a rank old film if I saw it again now, but 10+ years ago I loved it when I saw it.

Finally - Tommy Boy. Stars the awesome late rotund comic genius Chris Farley as an inpet son of an auto parts maker trying to save his dads business. Wife hates it, but I watch it on DVD whenever I can. Hilarious.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
The Last Broadcast....which is a brilliant Film, very clever and very convincing.Here is the synopsis.....

On Dec15 1995, the hosts of a TV network, were going to do a " Live " broadcast in search of the legendary " Jersey Devil ". It took the Police 2 Days to find their bodies. One Year on, filmaker David Leigh decided to make a Movie about the events.

This Film certainly influenced the inferior " Blair Witch Project ".....and certainly preceded it !!!!!.....

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Arrival- A sci fi film with Charlie Sheen about a radio astronomer who picks up a signal from space.It was overshadowed by "Contact" but still a good film.

The Straight Story- A film about an old guy who drives across America on a little ride on mower to visit his brother.The scrapes he gets into and the kindness he's shown by strangers along the way make it a very fine film.A true story too.

·
Administrator
45,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just remembered another one - Enemy Mine with Dennis Quaid. Another one in the category of 'loved it as a teenager, probably really crap in reality'.

Didn't Cinema Paradiso and Life is Beautiful win Oscars? Hardly unknown or unrated! :cheese:

·
Administrator
45,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brassed Off
Truly excellent film - knocks The Full Monty into a cocked hat for a start. If anyone really doesn't rate that, they must be dead inside.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Oh, where to start?

How about:

Joan of Arc: The Messenger - Powerful drama by Luc Besson, an early role for Milla Jovovich.

The Fifth Element - A great, colourful, funny Sci-Fi film, again from Luc Besson.

Coneheads - Cracking comedy!

What about Bob? - Again, a cracker!

Perfume:Story of a Murderer - Strange, but compelling. Boasts what must be the largest orgy scene ever seen!!

There are loads more... :)

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
its gotta be TWIN TOWN....set in Swansea and about twins...rhys ifans ad i dont know the other guys name...they are the local bad boys and its hilarious....:lol:

look out for the naked shepherd with his sheep and collie afta he has had a "special" hot dog off the boys....:lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Also Raise The Titanic, is probably my favourite film of all time, i just love the idea behind it. Though saying that the book is much much better:thumbs:
And has a totally different ending!

I would like to put forward Birdy, one big joke at the end but well worth it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts