Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When downloading MP3s to a USB stick to play on the Blue&Me, do I need to include the file structure (as they appear on Itunes) or just transfer the songs?

Currently on my C: (itunes music directory) all my songs are in folders such as:

Artist>Album>Track name

Do I need to recreate this structure or simply download the songs to the USB in one big lump.

I want to still be able to search by artist, so presume I have to recreate the structure unless blue&me picks the artist from the MP3 ID tag?

Might seem a funny question but when I download my CDs (500+) to iTunes I've always done it in Apple Lossless format, so I'm having to convert them all to Mp3 to get them to work on blue&me which is a pain (therefore if I can avoid copying the file structure as well it will save me some time).

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Adam

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
B&M picks the artist from the ID3 tag, so in that sense the file structure is irrelevant.

However you might want to preserve the file structure (or create a new one) so you can use the "folder" options in B&M. For example if you have shuffle on you can navigate to a particular level in the tree and select "play all". It will then play files randomly from that point down.

To illustrate, the top-level structure on my 32G USB drive is divided into "Rock", "Folk" and "Classical". When my wife is in the car I have it set to play randomly from within the classical section only - for some reason she dislikes it when B&M goes straight from a Bach Cantata into a Frank Zappa number.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great news - in the same position as the original poster. 4500 stracks being converted now using Mac Switch software onto 32gB USB for the new car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts