Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, problem sounds like: Air escaping from a highly-pressurised baloon or whoopee (fart) cushion
From: Front-left hand side of the car, from the area around the passenger side airbag
Since: Readily becoming more noticeable over the last 3 months :rant:

Frequency:
  • When car is fully warmed-up or ridden-hard, and
  • When revs are between 3500 and 4000 only :eek:
  • Sound is not evident when car is cold
Troubleshooting:
  • Sound does not go away when aircon/heater switches, lights, steering wheel are manipulated
  • Manipulating the revs either by breaking, accelerating or engaging the clutch to move the revs outside the aforementioned range, will remove the sound
Other considerations:
  • Clutch is worn (noticeable by hard clutch pedal) :(
  • Car has had a recent cambelt service, and a full-service within the last year
Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
mine sounds similar. sound stops when pressing the clutch. put mine down to a worn clutch and flywheel

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine sounds similar. sound stops when pressing the clutch. put mine down to a worn clutch and flywheel
Is it both the clutch and flywheel, and is it wise to replace both at the same time? :rant:

ebSpares only sell the clutch pack (pressure plate, friction plate and bearing) for £130, is this a good move?

Any idea how long it takes to fit a clutch; is it an engine-out jobbie? :cry:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thrust bearing?
Master/slave cylinder?
I believe the clutch is hydraulic and operates on the same system as the brakes.. If I'm wrong here, someone's bound to correct me!:thumbs:

I assume the sound is coming from underneath the car though you mention the area around the passenger side airbag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts