Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I know it's all contrived, but I have to say I still quite enjoy 5th Gear. At least the presenters have a bit more motoring credibility than Top Gear and Grand Tour.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I know it's all contrived, but I have to say I still quite enjoy 5th Gear. At least the presenters have a bit more motoring credibility than Top Gear and Grand Tour.
Absolutely agree.
Top Gear has been more of a children's programme for quite some time. At least Fifth Gear is still about cars.

I'd like to see really old Top Gear (the half hour versions) repeated on Dave, instead of recycling the same old stuff.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
New series running on Quest at the moment, and fairly enjoyable despite a lot of SUVs featured in recent shows - even Plato can't stand them.
They did have two of the tanks from Alfa & Jag featured last night - a Qf v F Pace SVR. The prestige one won.
Interesting pieces on the XJ220, new 3 Series and Ford GT and Morgan. Good show.
https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/fifth-gear/video/season-28-episode-5/EHD_258238C

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
New series running on Quest at the moment, and fairly enjoyable despite a lot of SUVs featured in recent shows - even Plato can't stand them.
They did have two of the tanks from Alfa & Jag featured last night - a Qf v F Pace SVR. The prestige one won.
Interesting pieces on the XJ220, new 3 Series and Ford GT and Morgan. Good show.
https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/fifth-gear/video/season-28-episode-5/EHD_258238C
Yeah been enjoying it too.

It did make me chuckle when Plato said he doesn't like SUVs as a few years ago I saw him on the A34 driving a Porsche SUV thing with his own private number plate!

·
Registered
6,869 Posts

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
A really great show for the car enthusiasts this week.
£50k sports car group test and then a similar feature but on used more affordable sports cars.
Good feature on the Tesla Model 3 v Mercedes C63.
And not a single SUV to be seen - brilliant!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah been enjoying it too.

It did make me chuckle when Plato said he doesn't like SUVs as a few years ago I saw him on the A34 driving a Porsche SUV thing with his own private number plate!
Just because he owned one doesn't mean that he liked it. I owned an Astra estate some years ago because it was cheap and practical. Having owned one is probably why I dislike them more now. (OK, I know we're talking a slightly different class of car, Astra estate v Porsche SUV thingy)

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
LOL. Clearly the wife took over with the decision making for a family tank!

·
Registered
32,692 Posts
LOL. If a car doesn’t fulfil the function needed from it you should’nt need your wife to point it out!
You obviously don’t do anything?
Or do you have a useful car too?

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
ROFL. I buy cars with my heart first and foremost!
I borrow something practical on the rare occasion we need it, that said the lady does drive a small shopping trolley.

Is this forum your life, you seem to be glued to it?
I'm currently 'working' but struggling for motivation with a particularly tricky project, hence looking at the usual nonsense on here...

·
Registered
32,692 Posts
No. I’m quite busy thanks. I’m retired at 55 to concentrate on my cycle coaching, doing stuff on the house. This morning I was coaching and my son generally goes cycleracing on sundays. We both cycle on Monday night needing two bikes to get to the track. Tuesdays he’s training again after school. Yoga on wednesdays , I cycle . Thursday with the club. Bike maintainance or taking bikebuilds to the shop wouldn’t be possible if I’d got that Abarth 124. I worked that out for myself so got the Stelvio. And yourself?
What’s an Architectural Consultant as opposed to an Architect?

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Bikes, bikes and bikes. I have one myself - I enjoy the country lanes not far away, and we also have the 'Guild Wheel' now, a dedicated cycle/pedestrian route circling the city alongside rivers, canals and parks. Not so much over winter though.
I'm a keen fell walker and have done a good number of the Wainwrights, only an hour away from the glorious Lakes.
I'm also a gym regular - four times a week usually, doing both fitness work and weights.
Oh, and I also run my own business. As an Architectural Consultant I give expert advice within the building industry, alongside design and technical work, taking on both domestic and commercial commissions.

I quite like the Abarth 124 myself. Lots of autos and ones with black bonnets/boot lids about which have no appeal to me. Still not sure about the 'look' either, so I think I'm heading towards a BRZ/GT86, not that those are dream cars of mine but seem to be the most suitable available. Yep, I'm a fussy git.

·
Registered
32,692 Posts
I want a car that’s as good and good to steer as my bikes. As mr Carwow put it “...there are few alternatives that can challenge the Alfa Romeo Stelvio for its enjoyable driving experience and only one comes close – the more expensive Porsche Macan. In the right spec, a Stelvio steers and grips almost like a sports car which is sure to put a smile on your face if you enjoy driving.“
That’ll do me. Having fun driving the twisty way through the kent/Surrey lanes to visit my dad in his care home.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Not a great one last night as far as I was concerned, city cars, estates and yet another SUV feature, though at least it was on the latest Lambo tank and had a feature on the original super SUV - the LM002. VBH made that feature bearable and amusing with her quips about the ''school run'', ''at the school gates'', and a ''mummy's car''! A proper petrolhead and always good value.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I am quite enjoying it. Last week (I think) it was) Karun Chandhok reviewed some big Merc thing and a Panamera (hybrid). 75 miles on the battery and a V8 [twin] turbo for fun. If I thought I could afford one I would. I don't even think they're that ugly now. Still a bit ugly but I could do a bit ugly.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Last one in the series last week and thankfully another great one for the petrolheads.
New Toyota Supra, Audi R8 V10, Alpine A110 and Lotus Elise all featured. Great stuff.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts