Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating making some carbon bits for my 147 GTA: wing mirrors, boot spoiler and bonnet to be specific.
I've recently seen a few posts suggesting that there might be a need / market for GTA specific panels.
My questions are:
1. What are the panels that are most needed?
2. Are most people going to paint them, therefore don't need the cost associated with lacquered carbon?
3. Just how many could be sold, therefore justifying the cost of a decent mould? E.g. I think there are only a couple of hundred 147 GTAs in the UK, how many would want/ be willing to pay for a panel?

To be more specific here, I'm talking about high quality, lightweight. Not cheap GRP floppy Saxo body kit technology.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sounds interesting. I would suggest that the bonnet is worth thinking about. Large heavy weight over an already front heavy car. Secondly, 156 front wings as they always rust up.

As with anything, you will need to keep the cost right down to attract enough people, and yes, I think people will want them painted to keep the standard look.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd be interested in a pair of 156 front wings right off! There's fewer and fewer of these cars left, but most of them are going at the front edge of the wheel arch now. The last quoted price for genuine Alfa replacements I saw was £440 each, but Alfisti.net were doing them for about £250 (not currently in stock, though). Somewhere around the £200-£300 mark would probably sell well.

·
Registered
30,291 Posts
Thanks for that, I think I'll start with a bonnet as a long term project
The bonnet is the same on the GT too.
The only panel shared between 147 & GT.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was looking into this only a month or so ago as I want to get my 156 GTA painted in the next couple of years and replace both of the front wings due to rust and maybe the bonnet for a bit of weight saving.

I came across a few websites and things and the one that has the answers we are looking for are on this website - Light-Weight Carbon Fibre Car Parts | LWS Design

They say a single mould can cost around £2000, they also need a brand new panel to be supplied to make the mould from, so in my case two 156 GTA wings, a further £800ish quid. After the mould is built, you need to pay for the panel itself! So we are already well over £3000.
For group buys of 5 people, you'll get 10% off and for 10 people, 15% off.

I stopped looking at that point because I was trying to get a price in my head for how much the wings would cost + respray.

Anyway I am still serious about getting CF wings and maybe a bonnet to go with it.

Cheers, Sam

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't seen them, they do some nice stuff.
The prices don't seem totally unreasonable, just too much if you have to fund the full cost of a mould yourself.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've just seen on another thread that Autolusso have ten pairs on order, all spoken for. At £250 a side (conservative) that's £5k of orders already! Alfa will only make new ones if there's enough orders, so maybe it's time someone took the plunge and got the CF moulds made.

I would, but I'm skint. :depressed:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm only quoting that figure as I saw it on another thread somewhere. Apparently what you get at that price isn't worth having.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Great Idea.. 156 front wings would be a great idea plus bumpers and bonnets.. whats the cost difference between carbon and fibre glass on average. I,m guessing once the mould is made either can be laid up into that mould.

·
Registered
30,291 Posts
Great Idea.. 156 front wings would be a great idea plus bumpers and bonnets.. whats the cost difference between carbon and fibre glass on average. I'm guessing once the mould is made either can be laid up into that mould.
Biggest cost is getting the mould made and for a short run it is a huge cost.

Mould could then be used with basic GRP, Kevlar, CF, or whatever.

Of all the GTA panels, the 147 GTA bonnet is the most commonly used as all 147 (GTA & non GTA) and all GT would use the same panel.
Front wings have the rust issue, so once again poor QA is building a market there! :irked:

There is also a considerable difference between what is acceptable for a race car panel and the needs of a road car.
Most race car panels would look shocking on a road car!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd only be interested in making road car panels. The bonnet is probably the hardest (other than doors) - size, loads, hinges, latches etc but also an excellent place to save some weight.
Carbon fibre is many times more expensive than glass fibre but the resin and labour is pretty much the same, unless you want it to look really good with clear lacquer when the labour goes up.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
I tought about making CF bonnet and front wings for my 156 GTA, but i dont have a good warm and big enough space for it. I live in an apartment. But if somebody is willing to do it - i am deffinetly interested. In need for a new bonnet and front wings (rust on both of them).

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I can have both carbon and fibre glass bonnet / wings made if there is enough interest.

Watch this space for prices... :)

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
There is also a considerable difference between what is acceptable for a race car panel and the needs of a road car.
Most race car panels would look shocking on a road car!!
I second that - I've got WTCC panels on my GTA track slag and the fit is terrible - but its not about looking good, its about being functional. On a road car it is a very different scenario.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Wouldnt mind lightweight wings and bonnet for my 147 (dont care if the wings are standard or GTA type).

But I think carbon fibre is pointless - its main benefits are strength and lightness, the bonnet and wings are unstressed so the strength is totally necessary and as it cost the bloke in the link below about 3200 Euro to get a set of 147 wings made in 2008 (god knows what it would cost now) and the last time I looked a carbon fibre bonnet was about £970 (was watching a 147/GT one on ebay last year, sold by an Australian company), youd be paying silly money for a material thats extremely light and strong, when you only need the lightness.

Personally I think polyester, glass fibre or even ABS would be much cheaper and better suited to the job. Most Renaults of the last 20 years have had polyester wings, the Espace's body was made entirely from polyester, the Citroen BX had a plastic bonnet and tailgate way back in 1984, so they deffo CAN be made with decent fit (cue jokes about Renault's and Citroen's build quality !). Plus dents in polyester can be popped out very easily.

Anyway, the company he used may still have the moulds, plus there are a couple of other links in the thread:

Alfa Romeo forum: Light weight body pannels.

Where did you get your BTCC panels from Pud, what are they made from ? I ve often thought of getting some, they could be made to fit better - I know a bodywork expert/panel beater who often has to make steel pattern panels fit and at least GRP or plastic would be a bit easier to work with that steel.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts