Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded the free version of FiatECUScan for my 02 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS, then bought and modified a vagcom KKL interface a per the instructions on FiatECUScans website.

I managed to clear my engine warning light with it after rewiring my lambda connecters instead of getting a new CAT as the dealer suggested :)

Now the problems I have had are as follows...

1) FiatECUScan says my car has done 8##,###km which is horribly wrong :tut:
2) It recons the first time the ECU was programmed was in 2020 not 2002.
3) It says the car has a Allied MY 97 airbag system but thinks it should be a MY 99 system :confused:
4) Every time I connect to the ABS/Power Steering the on board display lights up to tell me I have a system failure but then goes away once it has been disconnected.

So what I want to know is...

1) Do you think the full version of FiatECUScan any better?
2) Does alfadiag have the same problems or any problems at all?
3) Does the FiatECUScan wiring work or is it better to connect to the ECU, power steering and ABS separately?

I modified the kkl cable as follows: Disconnected the PCB from pin 7 and connected it to the common of a toggle switch, one pole of the switch is connected to pins 1,7,9 (ABS, ECU, Power steering) and the other to pin 3 (SRS).

Any insight or comments about similar problems would be greatly received :)

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Alfadiag is (in my view and experience ) a better program, but it is not free , it looks almost exactly like Examiner
the official program in use with Fiat/Alfa dealers, Examiner costs around 4000 quid plus a monthly fee for updates. AD is a bargain compared with that. just my 0,02 cents....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I have been planning on buying one of the two for a while now and it seems to me that most people here use Alfadiag; so I would assume that would be the safer bet especially after the current problems I have experienced with fiatECUScan.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
MGG, I have many emails of AD users who state that they earned back the software and cable many times over ! take alone the fact that the dealer cannot tell you rubbish about needed expensive repairs... You can diagnose your car yourself !

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Sounds like you are connecting to the wrong ECU type. You should be connecting to the "Bosch Motronic MED7.11 EOBD" ECU. If you connect to anything else, it will more than likely work, but all the information will be wrong.
As for connecting to the ABS, that sounds fairly normal, as you are temporarily deactivating the system when you connect to it, hence it says there is a failure. Again, make sure you choose the correct ABS ECU, there are 3 to choose from on the JTS.
If you click 'Scan' from the main screen on FES, it will give you the list of your ECUs, so you'll know which ones to connect to.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
+1 what fillip said. When you connect do you get an ISO mismatch warning? After the warning, the program will work but many things will be wrong. Did you try with unmodified cable?

·
Registered
822 Posts
As for connecting to the ABS, that sounds fairly normal, as you are temporarily deactivating the system when you connect to it, hence it says there is a failure. Again, make sure you choose the correct ABS ECU, there are 3 to choose from on the JTS.
If you click 'Scan' from the main screen on FES, it will give you the list of your ECUs, so you'll know which ones to connect to.
I get the same warning connecting to the ABS regardless of the ECU I select. It got me worried first time it happened but it doesn't stop me checking things and leaves no trace once you disconnect. Thus, as said doesn't appear to be an issue. For free software it looks pretty good to me.........

Keith

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have got the ISO warning once or twice but that was before I realised you could scan the car to see what systems it has and therefore connect to the right one.

What concerns me is the FiatECUScan software, especially the fact that their website and the software's default airbag system selection differs from what it actually detects in the scan.

It does seem to make sense that when you are connected to the abs that the light could come on; I just hate that feeling of 'oh what’s it doing now' :confused:

Thanks for all the comments guys, this website and the members on it are a $$$ saver :thumbs:

·
Registered
293 Posts
i far prefer fiat ecu scan to alfa diag - i have used and paid for both (got a re-fund on alfa diag) AD is more fussy in its appearance fiat ecu is much clearer and easier to use imo. However, i have only had to use them both for a 145 so not needed to modify any cables or anything like you have.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi all... so i downloaded both Alfadiag and FiatECUscan, i have both working and talking to the car.

However the demo version of AD doesnt let me do anything at all... where as the FS lets me do almost everything... however i too have to chose between ECU types... BoschEDC16CF3 or BoschEDC16C9, im not sure which one i need to use my Alfa 156 1.9JTD 16v Multijet 54' Any ideas?

Also when reading on the EDC16CF3 one it says my car has traveled 20,655.4km which translates to 12.834miles... its got a genuine 98,000miles on the clock... im confused... unless im reading the wrong type of ecu...

Anyway, ive now got a long list of data from fiatecuscan and im wondering if there is a copy of this data from a good car that i can compare mine to? I wouldnt know if my data is right or wrong.

fingers crossed...

G

·
I use Fiatecuscan but have found the earlier versions seem to work better when looking at engine speeds, mileages etc. The newer versions connecting to the same ECU's as older versions report funny things. I flick between versions 1.2 and 1.6 as they seem the most stable for our 7 year old car, but I know the newer version is a bit slicker, plus the older version allows more parameters to be graphed for all you wannabe
F1aphilies! (new word)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts