Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
i bought the ELM 327 interface cable a couple of days ago and now i'm going to buy the diagnostic software but need some advise which of these two is better to buy-alfadiag or fiatecuscan,
i checked both and i liked alfadiag,I think it has more great modules for alfa,whiles fiatecuscan seems like general error viewer or something like that,for example I could'n find the injectors scanning module and few other modules also missing,
what is your idea about that?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
If you are going to try and use the ELM you will have to use FES. AlfaDIag uses the VAG-COM KKL interface as does FES.

But you don't say which 156 you have ... some older models will only work with the VAG-COM ... so you may need a new interface for Christmas as well.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
check the FES website as well, as not all models / functions are covered by the free version, as well as it having a time limit on it.

make sure it does what you need it to do before making investments.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well,I checked alfadiag website and it seems to be compatible with ELM 1/3 or later,
what does FES offer,diagnostic software?
my alfa is 156 saloon,2002

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
well,I checked alfadiag website and it seems to be compatible with ELM 1/3 or later
Where did you see that?
AlfaDiag does not support ELM interfaces:

Quote from the FAQ section of AlfaDiag.net:
"Q. Does AlfaDiag support ELM based interfaces?
A. AlfaDiag does not support or function with ELM based interfaces."

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sh...t didn't see that,but my ELM interface description says it supports all OBD-II protocols,

·
Registered
30,079 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so there was no use of buying this ELM at all,
where can I buy OBDKey?
thanks a lot mate :)))

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
As for your ELM, it depends what you have next.

The later cars need an ELM or OBDKey for some functions and a KKL won't do.
The earlier cars need a KKL or OBDKey for some functions and an ELM won't do.

Not looked into OBDKey much as they seamed to be expensive when I did!

KKL are cheep though and with a KKL and an ELM (which combined will probably cost considerably less than an OBDKey) you would be sorted for everything.

If you are only looking to get to the engine ECU, then your ELM will be fine with FiatECUScan, even the free version. But download it from the proper website.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my car is 2002 156,
I just wanted to check and clear error codes and turn off that airbag light on dashboard
will ELM do this job?

·
Registered
262 Posts
im selling my license key for fes,you just need to download the free version then apply licence number to get fully paid up version?
steve

·
Registered
30,079 Posts

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
... a modified KKL interface. Most on ebay aren't and simply connect to the ECU.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i need few different interface cables i guess,
is there any other devices that can scan and fix the problems without laptop connections?
something like the garages use but cheaper

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
You will only need the KKL for the airbags, so you can move the wire from pin 7 to pin 3 and have that dedicated.

And the free version of FiatECUScan will do the job.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts