Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys got my 159 jtdm on a 56 an the guy who i bought it off insisted it has had a cambelt an service done, even though it does state service expired ! (got a stamp from his local garage in book) however its coming up change engine oil ! as the guy who did the work hadnt reset it. Im looking at purchasing fiatecuscan but unsure which plugs and cables that i need to do the reset and any future error reading. I plan on keeping my car so wondering is it worth spending the money on the software an cables, or going to main dealer to get it reset ?
what do u guys think ?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Definately worth getting the cables and paying for registered version if you plan on doing own oil change and keeping the car long term. It can read EML Error codes and check systems and actuators which can help if trying to troubleshoot an issue.
There are threads a plenty on correct cable needed :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
i would recommend getting FES i bought the registered copy and an ELM cable off ebay works a treat saves me having to take car to Alfa to get the service reset light and oil change done for big bucks.

Martin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tazman3 fes is the FiatEcuScan isnt it ? lol excuse my dumbness :) An the ELM cable ? is that the ELM327 OBD2 ? what software you got on that as its stating 1.4 on the listing im looking at :) is this all i need ? no other cables etc ? if so it comes to around £65 intotal ? thats a bargain tbh :) Really not sure what information i can pull off with the FES as ive never used a ecu software before ! but will it tell me services ? when done ? an also if the cambelt n waterpumps been done ? lol i dont want much do i ;)
Jon

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's what I have elm 327 with 1.4 you can reset the service light and the oil light, also you can check actuators do a dpf regen etc. however it won't tell you if the cambelts been done! It will tell you how many oil change resets have been done but not how many services, It does enable you to reset the engine management light aswell and find out fault codes. Which any garage will normally charge £40-£50 a time for that

Martin

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Other than taking the car to a main dealer, is there any way to tell when the oil is due for a change?
Depends, either wait for the "change engine oil" warning to come up or just change it at the given number of months, or earlier if you so wish.

Either way the oil service will need to be reset using diags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well guys ive got the elm hooked up to my car :) which it recognises on com4 if i scan via fes (registered) it finds my car but then when i press connect it looks for my ecu but cannot connect !!! grrr what am i doin wrong guys ?
cheers Jon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i get this

COMMAND: ATZ
RESPONSE: ATZ

?

>

COMMAND: ATI
RESPONSE: ATI

ELM327 v1.4

>

COMMAND: ATE0
RESPONSE: ATE0

OK

>

COMMAND: ATL0
RESPONSE: OK

>

COMMAND: ATH0

>

COMMAND: ATSPC

>

COMMAND: ATS0

>

COMMAND: ATCAF0

>

COMMAND: ATCFC0

>

COMMAND: ATCRA 7B0

>

COMMAND: ATSH 7B0

>

COMMAND: ATAT1

>

COMMAND: ATST41

>

COMMAND: ATBI

>

This interface is compatible with ELM 327 1.4! Should connect properly with all CAN modules.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scanning ...

VagCom/KKL interface found at port COM3
ELM 327 interface found at port COM4, speed 38400bps
This interface is compatible with ELM 327 1.4! Should connect properly with all CAN modules.
Latency Too High!!!

COMPLETED

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sure mine connects on Com3 not sure though will check also I had to remove a resistor from mine to enable it to connect to other ecu rater than engine! Depends on which elm cable you have some are cheap versions, have a look on the fes forum there is a thread there !

Martin

·
Registered
27 Posts
I seem to remember this error on FES with my 156. YOu can change latency through the System part of Control Panel. On my Mac at the moment, but I can give a more detailed walkthrough in the morning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right guys im really struggling with this :cry: ive connected this an tried every setting (i think) lol still no joy im goin to try again tomorrow an make notes on what errors i get with each setting, yet my battery on my lappy is on its last legs so get about 15mins tops (ive ordered a new battery) ive tried turning the high latency off but still no joy :( ive contacted the guy who i bought it off on ebay an he asked which protocol my alfa is using ??? im lost an the change oil light is driving me mad !!! lol
thanks guys
as for wardpaa i wouldnt recommend this guy until i get this up an running :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
finally got it connected guys :) cleared that flaming "change engine oil" thank god :) Wardpaa i read the link n made a few tweaks an bingo it worked :) if you require a full break down ill sort it for you :) also im just wondering what else i can do with this awsome peice of kit ? can i tweak my 1.9D to be extra quick ? or extra eco ?
cheers guys for puttin up with me :)
Jon

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Depends, either wait for the "change engine oil" warning to come up or just change it at the given number of months, or earlier if you so wish.

Either way the oil service will need to be reset using diags.
Took the easier route in the end and rang the dealer that has serviced the car twice since new. Asked him to give me details of what was done at last service and good news is the oil and filter were changed at the same time. Also the brake fluid, which is good to know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts