Discussion Starter #2
This'll be one for JB methinks wink

Hope he can help you out Chaz...and welcome wink

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chas try changing the thermostat first they are about £7 from a motor factors. JB told me the torque settings for the head but i forgot them. My g/f has a 1.1 punto. Is yours 1108 cc?
The torque settings are usually ?N/M pls 3 times 90 degree turns on each stud in sequence. I would ring the main dealer and ask them they should tell you. Also ask them the tightening sequence

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The thermostat and all the normal things have been done. It seems to come down to one of 3 things.
Headgasket, Airlock or Faulty Cap. Thats probably in order of what I suspect.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry chas i have now read the full message. I would say that it is most likley a headgasket problem . My g/f had one go this year, initial symptoms slight miss fire. The reason the heater dont work is probably because the pressure from the compression is airlocking the heater hose (due to the gasket being weak and leaking) Good news is it is a doddle to replace. You can also do cam belt at same time. You may need to have the head skimmed though in case it has warped.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I dont skim the head - how long with the new gasket last? I need to do this in an ofternoon - simply due to logistics (I dont live with my wife as I work in Dublin) - and I need to get her back on the road.

I got price on headgasket - E15. Any ideas for prices on Oil Filter/Plugs/Cam Belt?

Do you know if the head bolts can be reused - and then tourque settings?

How difficult is it to see with the eye if the head needs to be skimmed?

Thx !

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my attitude is to just do it without skimming the head since if it fails you have only wasted the cost of the gasket (assuming you are doing the work yourself) The oil filters are a couple of pounds, the cambelt I bought was £6:50. I do not know the torque settings off the top off my head sorry. Do you know how to do the cam belt it is quite simple if you know how. Do you know what I mean by the tightening sequence for the head studs. (yes you can use them again)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how many valves does your punto have is it the 8 valve?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can check head by placing a straight edge on it and seeing if it is straight. This will not however detect if the head is cracked a pressure test will do this. The head gasket on th 1.1 punto is notorious though for letting go.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes - only 8 valve. Simple motor really.
Ive overhauled my Golf 1.8 16V - that was intersting.
Admittedly Im doing the Fiat with lot less tools - but ill manage one way or the other.
Thx

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chaz not to sound rude but i think it is like p155ing in the wind on this site for punto info, it will go every where but where you want it.
So as a suggestion try this website;
http://www.fiatforum.com/forum/default.asp
Sorry if i have affended anybody but this guy needs as much help as possible and where better than a Fiat Forum.

Cheers
Ted

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more question.
Waterpump - whats the chance of it being this?
And Estimated cost?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
water pump for punto about next to **** all. less than £20 I would say. Does the car lose water? I think the head gasket is the way forward

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want to save money dont renew the cam blet until you know you have sloved the problem. The 8v punto is a non interference engine (you learn quick on this site) IF THE BELT SNAPS, YOU ARE STRANDED BUT NO BENT VALVES

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Ted. This is just a site I managed to find :)
And ppl here are friendly enough

:D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fiat forum is ok, but if jimybob was here he would be the daddy. You may find torque settings on that site though. I found how to change the cam belt on there. But the site is full of boys with clear indicator lenses and 9 inch bore exhausts. DO you all remember the guy with the punto at lotherton hall. Start up rev limiter turn off

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
curtesy of Jimybob toque settings are 15lbft 30lbft followed by 90 degrees and another 90 degrees (they must be done in sequence though)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts