Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, if you want a cheap run-around car, that has bluetooth, costs less than R150 000 and comes with at least 3 years maintenance plan, which of these would you choose.

I am quite keen on the Qubo, the only real issue for me would be the measly 55kw. The 1.2 POP is cheap, I can get a demo for R129 000. and it ticks all the boxes, but that 1.2 is also very low on grunt.
I would prefer the 1.4 lounge to be honest, depending if I can find one under my price point.... that is the biggest challenge. And the fact that the 1.4 is not quite a "modern" engine, so economy is not all that great. It does come with quite a bit of kit standard though.

Sadly whichever I choose will be replacing my GQV till at least end 2016:cry:

·
Registered
204 Posts
My wife drives the 500c 1.2. I had a 1.4 as a curtsy car once. My view is that the 1.2 is better for town driving as it feels to have more torque low down. 1.4 is better for highway.

Regarding the Qubo, friend had the diesel and its probably the most fuel efficient car I've ever come across. Massive cabin inside, but you will be severely disappointed if you expect any kind of performance or handling.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Eric that 1.2 will kill you .. if i can throw a spanner in the works, the Doblo is friggin awesome

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
and no the new 500 x is kak ugly.. its a nissan juke, i dont care what anyone says

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If it is for daily, I would take the 1.2 if you need good fuel economy. 1.4 is better if you need to get up to 120 uphill. My wife also have the 500C 1.2, seriously lack power, but fuel consumption for highway is 5.2/100km. Depends on what you need in life.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
We had a 1.2 Punto...pure nonsense I remember I managed to force it to 178kph and it subsequently overheated:thumbup:

1.4 would be better.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
We had a 1.2 Punto...pure nonsense I remember I managed to force it to 178kph and it subsequently overheated:thumbup:

1.4 would be better.
There must have been a problem if it overheated. I recall driving an 1100 Uno Fire to Upington with my foor flat all the way. We stopped at Calvinia for fuel. Our average sped was 160km/h (imagine how fast we were going to average 160!) and fuel consumption (with 4 people and luggage onboard) was 7.7L/100km. It was summer and over 40 degrees from Calvinia all the way, and the car didn't miss a beat or overheat. Now the Punto 1.2 engine is exactly the same engine with fuel injection.

Anyway my mom has a 1.2 lounge 500 DuaLogic. Brilliant little thing. If I were to choose a car I would take the 1.2 but I can understand the pure lack of power at altitude. The 1.4 feels like a 1.6 when compared to a 1.2

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric that 1.2 will kill you .. if i can throw a spanner in the works, the Doblo is friggin awesome
I already have a Doblo, I do not want another one

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
oops i did not know that..

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could go completely nuts though, get an older Busso (like a reasonable 3.2 ) for less that R120 000, and just make sure I save a bit every month so I can do the cambelts and have spare cash for any eventualities.
The problem with that is that I may need to settle for a car that is not quite up to my standards again (like my first 159)

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
My dad's GTA is for sale lol.:readit:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Gma?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Busso will not make sense because fuel and maintenance. But I like your train of thought!

How about one last 159? :devious:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Busso maintenance isnt that high, if u set aside R20k a year for the car then you should be fine. My car has cost around R40k in 3 years to keep her on the road and some of that wasnt necessary maintenance. And fuel economy can be terrible yes wont even argue there but it is better than a V6 159 from what I hear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts