Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,563 Posts
I'm not making light of this, but:

"The recall covers cars and SUVs whose gearshifts could be confusing to drivers."

What does the shift look like in order to cause the confusion? Any ideas?

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
It's an "electronic" gearshifter without notches so people have been
thinking they put their cars in park, but haven't. And have injured themselves
getting out of a moving vehicle.

E

·
0 Posts
Not being defensive of fiat Chrysler, but part of me thinks the fix should be to cancel the driving license.

·
Registered
13,247 Posts
Do these cars not have a handbrake? Or is just putting it in "Park" how you "hand-brake" an Automatic these days?

Ralf S.

D

·
0 Posts
Maybe thats what auto drivers do, just rely on park :thinking:

Have you ever noticed in an american movie when a big american auto car is parked up it rolls backwards and forwards :lol:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It's a horrible design for a shifter... like a joystick, it returns to centre after each change, so unlike every other kind of gear lever, it doesn't give the driver any tactile feedback about its current state.. if you want to know what mode the drive is in, you have to look at the indicator on the lever, or the indicator in the dash cluster.

Compare to a manual (or a standard four position auto lever) where you can confirm what gear you're in by quickly reaching down to the shift lever. This design makes it very easy to think you've put it into park, when you may have actually selected neutral. And yes, in my experience, American drivers don't use the 'handbrake' (I remember on one US trip, I drove a couple of American colleagues out to lunch, and one remarked on me using the 'parking brake' when we arrived at the restaurant)

The design was originally from ZF Friedrichshafen, FCA's transmission technology supplier, and it's been used on BMW cars too. In response to customer feedback, FCA replaced this control with a more natural "four-position plus tip-shift gate" lever last year.

Giulia will have the same ZF 8-speed transmission, but it uses a standard lever to control it. Just like the joystick, there's no mechanical link between the lever and the box, but the lever doesn't leave you second guessing as you park up.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Since this is my first auto I have not got used to any other type, so for me it is "normal"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts