Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,247 Posts
You would have thought a Chrysler product would be a better choice.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
it's not afull time 4wd either..

depending on the transmission you can have 2H, 4H, 4L or 2H, 4H, 4HLc, 4LLc

the first option doesn't haveacenterdifferential so the 4wd is unusable on the road.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
it's not afull time 4wd either..

depending on the transmission you can have 2H, 4H, 4L or 2H, 4H, 4HLc, 4LLc

the first option doesn't haveacenterdifferential so the 4wd is unusable on the road.
The site seems to suggest it will be :confused:

"As with its Japanese sibling, the new Fiat Fullback features a full-time four wheel drive system"

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
4 wheel high means you can drive it on the road, it's got a rear locking diff too.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
4 wheel high means you can drive it on the road, it's got a rear locking diff too.
rear locking diff is optional for Super select, and if you get EASY SELECT which only has an indicated 2H, 4H, 4L THERE'S NO CENTER DIFF and you're only allowed to use 4x4 OFF-ROAD.

I've just spent 2 days in technical training for this model, I know what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
rear locking diff is optional for Super select, and if you get EASY SELECT which only has an indicated 2H, 4H, 4L THERE'S NO CENTER DIFF and you're only allowed to use 4x4 OFF-ROAD.

I've just spent 2 days in technical training for this model, I know what I'm talking about...
Forgive me then.
I'm just going off the newish l200's we have at work the '4work' base model

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would assume that (the Mitsubishi) has an old school part-time manually selectable 4WD system (with a rear locking diff?)
on the base model and a full-time "automatic" 4WD system on the higher spec ones.

Old school 4WDs were never meant to be driven on the road in 4WD. Hence/due to the lack of a centre diff.
(And the need to keep tyre wear even on all 4 corners so you don't get an almighty crash from the prop as the chassis
unwinds :eek:)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm not impressed with this l200/fiat thing. It was never a looker but the styling is even worse now. Only one choice of engine and power is about the same as the old one. The super select system is fantastic though.
Personally I love the looks of VW amorak but the 2l tdi just isn't up to job and they go for stupid money. The hilux is a uncomfortable piece of cheap plastic tat. This leaves us with the ford ranger, it's powerful specially the 3.2 the ford looks good and it's really comfortable this seems like the best bet if you're after a pickup.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the super select has a torsen center diff, lockable aswell, and a lockable rear diff (optional in some markets).

That's very versatile and the torsen is an upgrade compared to the viscous coupling from before.

the engine is the 4N15, stroked version of the Outlander engine (with changes for longitudinal mounting). Besides the coupling for the balancer shafts should be very reliable. Apparently a whole lot better than the old L200 was to drive.

no other trucks in it's class offer a comparable 4wd system (alledgedly).

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Most pick ups will be bought by people who need a car but don't want to pay VAT and need to write off some tax. Most pick ups will never go off road, even if they do it'll won't be that extreme to warrant a fancy 4x4 system.
Ironically the utility specs without the fancy 4x4 system will be the ones that venture off road

1 - 15 of 15 Posts