Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me any advice on how easy/difficult it would be to fit an engine from a Fiat coupe turbo into my 03 Alfa GTV? Thanks Neil

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have been asking the same question for some time - everyone seems to look down on idea - personally i think a 300/300 20v in a fettled 916 would be a tasty Italian hybrid and would love to convert my TS

Only source of info I found was a garage did a nice job in E Europe, possibly Romania - was on youtube

I think it fits with Fiat tranny ok and that structural mods are limited to mounts and shafts + exhaust + swap out ac rad for intercooler (assuming ac rad not up to job) and add a custom engine ECU to connect up with original Alfa ECU which would continue to manage rest of car......just wish I was up to doing it myself

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Don't forget changing the brakes to cope with the power so hubs, uprights etc.

Why not buy/fit a V6 and give it a few performance mods?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers griffster. Its just an idea just now but i might be tempted in future if my engine goes!! My brother in law owned a fiat coupe turbo and the power in that was immense. Murray i own a 2.0 TS which is going brilliant just now, but with 120.000 miles on the clock. I love the color of my exterior/interior (black/red), plus ive spent a few quid on it and i havent seen many 3.0 V6 for sale same color. If my engine does go then i would upgrade to either. Thanks guys:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
there is a Supercharger upgrade to the V6 and also there is a 3.8 conversion that Autolusso do

thats more likely to be easier cheaper

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would like to see that done ( rear wheel drive would be even better. I think there is a thread from 2011 discussing the very same issue. I have the V6 and a 20vt and I think the 20vt lump in the GTV would be a very formidable car in every respect..looks, poise, handling and power.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Wouldn't be all that hard, just time consuming. It'd all bolt in using Alfa/Fiat stuff, shouldn't require any fabrication. You'd have to use the Fiat engine loom & ECU, the hardest bit would be integrating that with the Alfa loom. But its non-CAN so shouldn't be too tricky if you can get wiring diagrams for both cars.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Its been done. I think the 20VT is quite tough, as with it being a 5cyl its tight in the engine bay.

The 16VT is by all accounts an easier job, but try finding a 16VT donor these days. They are as rare as a rare thing.

Ive seen a car here on the Dutch forums using a Lancia Delta Integrale motor as well - again, done a while ago when such engines were more common in scrappers.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Surely it's got to be cheaper and easier to go down the route of super charging the Busso engine such as the Autodelta kit.

Probably more powerful and you get to keep the gorgeous Busso sound too

·
Registered
480 Posts
there is a Supercharger upgrade to the V6 and also there is a 3.8 conversion that Autolusso do

thats more likely to be easier cheaper
Isn't it about 5 grand for either of those, so hardly cheap? I also considered the supercharger route despite the cost, but rumours of single figure mpg put me off

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Surely it's got to be cheaper and easier to go down the route of super charging the Busso engine such as the Autodelta kit.

Probably more powerful and you get to keep the gorgeous Busso sound too
If you only have a Twinspark GTV to start with, (a nice one, say £1500's worth), then the cost of a 20VT transplant if you can do the work yourself is basically the cost of buying the donor car, I've seen rough but running Coupes fetching little over a grand lately. Obviously you'll belt it & clutch it etc while its all out and no doubt change lots of other parts too, but you'll pay the same just buying a V6 in reasonable order. Fiat Coupe is at 260hp with a simple chip upgrade and making 320hp is do-able for under a grand.

This project is well worth doing if you have the skills to do the bulk of the work yourself, and the time to spare. If you need to pay a garage you'd probably be better off buying a V6 though as I can't see it being done in under a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts