Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm pretty sure someone who used to post on here has but I can't remember their user name. A search should find some old threads.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi JR, I too am interested in this conversion to a 99 TS - It has been done by an E European Indi - on Youtube (being driven).

So far all I have managed to get is hearsay ranging from ..you need to change so much it is not worth it ....to same floorpan, minor mods to eng mnts only...

I would have thought a cheap indi engine management ECU found in kitcar mag and race mags for c £200, custom half shaft mods, custom free flow exhaust + swap in complete 20vt with trick diff and box as a unit (clearance issues?)

Perhaps we can track down a suitable skilled enthusiast mechanic to carry this out - sharing 'development' cost will make it more attractive - sure we can source a pair of 20vt and have 'Flea' or similar check them over and tune to 340bhp (safe limit for std internals) - he has new super quick trick turbo unit and is one of the best for mapping them - he could no doubt source appropriate ECU and make interconnect harness to talk to Alfa system (not as if either are DBus!)

Really rather keen to do this if you are - where exactly are you, I am Corby Northants area - may be able to offer garage space to work on the 2 cars side by side if that helps keep mechanic cost down

This would have to be done on a very tight financial leash to reduce any potential non recoverable costs when sold - I would have thought: £500 for engine and box, £1k for turbo upgrade, ECU, map and used intercooler, £500 custom exhaust system, £400 eng mnts, gearshift + drive shaft mods..plus a negotiated private project cash labour rate based on doing 2 near identical cars (perhaps c £1000 / car?) - on top of this would be new discs and calipers plus suspension check / overhaul...already over £4k.... (£500 could be saved if a pre tuned engine in fair condition is sourced?) - without hidden costs it is already a little alarming as over half of that money wouldnt be seen again --- can you see a way of getting it done for less? D

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Several people on alfa155.org have these engines in 155s, which is essentially the same underbonnet layout - could be worth having a check on there.....One of the guys who has done it is East Midland based.....Alfachris......

·
Registered
38,457 Posts
The easiest way would be to buy a scrap Fiat Coupe to swap the parts over to.

I would guess that it would be easier to conver a TS to a 16V Turbo and a V6 to a 20V turbo.

Or you could just sell the GTV and buy the Fiat Coupe in the first place. They are cracking cars and a bona fide future classic.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I'd suggest the fact that this conversion is rarely talked about means it's not an easy task.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 16v block from the coop was the same as the lancia delta integrale. I think someone on the coop forum had a 450bhp coop for sale but couldn't due to price so was considering breaking...

·
Registered
227 Posts
...i like the fiat coop too, however I prefer the GTV and...i like the 5 cylinder warble + turbo rush - If I find the right V6 GTV first I may indeed go the simpler route as power is no longer everything to me

·
Registered
38,457 Posts
I think the V6 Alfa engine sounds better than the Coupe engine, but overall the coupe was the better car.

The only thing is lacked was the Alfa badge.

The Coupe was more reliable (No exploding diffs), faster, easier to tune, more economical, had more room inside and was cheaper to buy new. I also prefer the Coupe seats and interior (Proper set of gauges including oil temp and pressure) and the seats were far more comfortable.

The simpler rear suspension made little difference in the real world to handling and gave the car much better practicality and made it cheaper to repair.

Styling wise both looked great, obviously some will prefer one, others the other.

I have had two V6 GTV's a 16V Turbo Coupe and a 20V Turbo.

All were great cars, but the Coupe has the fondest memories.

·
Registered
38,457 Posts
I think £2500 upwards should bag a decent one. The Plus and LE are going to be the most expensive, but later regular 20VT models had a 6 speed box also.

They can be tuned to 250-260bhp with just a chip, boost gauge, colder plugs and a mechanical boost controller, all of which is going to cost about £100

·
Registered
227 Posts
symon....dont talk me back into a 20vt coop...was always worried about rust which seemed far more prevalent on the Fiat...otherwise I agree with what you are saying.. - if someone was to underwrite a 20vt to be in excellent health, I would go to £2.5k (many half decent ones go at a quarter of this) - one clun car I missed was asking £400 and was 300bhp with plenty of work done...and in my favourite colour....darn it!

Only recently learned why so many Q2 conversions - thought it was strange so many considered spending over a 1/3rd of car value on an alternative diff was a good idea!

Sure I shall be delighted with either a 20vt or v6 that has been well sorted

Have to say I just cant stop oggling my silver ts gtv + red momo..... :)

·
Registered
38,457 Posts
I don't think the Fiat is especially rust prone, in fact when I sold it and bought a 2 year newer GTV the GTV had more rust in it that the Fiat did.

Both are pretty well rust protected though.

I take it from the user name and car you have a Griffith? Which version have you got?
I had a 1997 500 reg no P6 TVR. :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts