Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a number pf posts on it being undertaken, but I do not have the no how to do it.

Are there any garages or members willing to do it? What costs do you think would be involved?

Ive been reading about the Windy 500 (budget Gumball Rally) and thought this would be a fun car to enter.

K

·
0 Posts
i did it to a 145 which was fairly easy, apart from the integration between the fiat & alfa wiring getting the code systems etc to agree with each other.

the mounting points for the subframes etc on the 145 and coupe are the same so the engine/gearbox (lsd)/suspension/brembos/driveshafts/subframe etc all swapped over pretty easily.

will be an expensive job for any garage to do that hasn't done one before though

don't know about it in a 147..

M

·
0 Posts
Not sure if he's called alfachris on here but he's dropped both 4 and 5cyl coupe lumps in a 155 so may be worth speaking to :)

K

·
0 Posts
Not sure if he's called alfachris on here but he's dropped both 4 and 5cyl coupe lumps in a 155 so may be worth speaking to :)
155 the same as 145 under the bonnet ;)

but very different to the 147.

won't be a straightforward swap on the 147, will need more fabrication work...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I heard someone did it to a 156, so might be possible.
But the 147 uses the CANBUS system so...

K

·
0 Posts
I heard someone did it to a 156, so might be possible.
But the 147 uses the CANBUS system so...
yes, quite a few have done the 20V turbo in the 156.....

but the 147 has many more complicated systems that require a bit more thought, as you say :thumbs:

·
Registered
981 Posts
NJS Alfa in Pershore do race prep (and won an award for it) according to Auto Italia mag so they shouldn't have a problem with an engine swap...

Nick

K

·
0 Posts
NJS Alfa in Pershore do race prep (and won an award for it) according to Auto Italia mag so they shouldn't have a problem with an engine swap...

Nick
yes, a decent garage would be able to do it. but as cream points out, it won't be cheap

·
Registered
128 Posts
Apart from other Alfa and Fiat engines, what other units could be fitted?

Can a 4 wheel drive engine be converted onto a 2 wheel drive for example? How about the VW 1.8T?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wouldn't bother. A friend and I are currently bodging that engine into a 155 Silverstone and even that is taking for ever...

If you have £4000-5000 take it to Autodelta (not sure if they're even still around...?) and get their bored out turbo/super charged 2.0 twinny in there!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pretty much any engine can be put in any car if you have an unlimited budget but if your tinkering for the extra power then turbo or supercharge what you have or just get a GTA and have 3.2 busso power

K

·
0 Posts
Apart from other Alfa and Fiat engines, what other units could be fitted?

Can a 4 wheel drive engine be converted onto a 2 wheel drive for example? How about the VW 1.8T?
so what gearbox would you run with the vw engine, the vw 'box?
what driveshafts then, and which hubs/suspension?
how would you integrate vw electrics that the engine would need with the alfa systems....

far FAR too many obstacles to overcome to be sensible. would cost a huge amount of cash.

and the vw 1.8T engine isn't that great either..

if you're really set on changing the engine in your 147 then why not the 3.2, as has been suggested.

or for the money you would spend getting that done just buy a gta and have something to sell on again.
once you've modified a standard 147 that wya it won't be worth anything like what you've spent.

and if you are changing the engine then you will need better brakes, suspension etc etc.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
There was a thread about this conversion on the fiat coupe forum.

Found the thread FCCUK link

It sounds like a hell of a lot of work and you'll need a donor Coupe to take the running gear engine and maybe suspension and brakes.

Good luck of you decide to go ahead with it, the users on FCCUK are always willing to offer advice and help where they can.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm Matt - Alfaowner on Fccuk.
I'm going through my conversion as we speak.. engine out of the fiat.. and this weekend half of the car stripped down. Its a slow process but mechanically not too bad. Its the electrics which have got us stuck at the moment!

Give me 6 months and hopefully i'll have finished it!

I'll let you know then!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts