Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello People,
Am new here..i know i probably should be posting somewhere else for this :/, well i hope im in the right place :)

Well basically i have a fiat bravo(phase 1), and i had a sudden urge to try and attempt an engine conversion...and obvs i chose to do the V6...

Not even started the project yet, but basically i just need some advice on where to start ?
im gonna be buying another bravo, preferably the HGT, best base model to start with :)

now in your experience with the engines, what would be the best and most reliable v6 engine?
ive seen on ebay the old 164 3.0 12v, but then i deep down want the 2.5 24v...any thoughts on which one ?

i hope i made some sense in there :)

Thanks for any help guys
Chris.

·
Registered
39,603 Posts
I am sure it could be done, but it will be a lot of work.

It might be easier/cheaper to sell it, buy the HGT Bravo and then swap the engine for a 20V Turbo unit from a Coupe. That will be a much easier conversion, plus they are easy to tune..

There is a Turbo Bravo around these parts.

If it must be V6, the best compromise between cost/performance would be a 3.0 24v from a GTV or 166. (The 164 unit is different)

The 2.5 would be just as difficult to fit as the 3.0 and doesn't perform anywhere near as well IMO.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply..
now i would do the coupe 20vT conversion, but i dont think i could maintain a turbo model(funds wise) i know it sounds silly, that i said i want a V6..but i suppose i wont have any turbo issues:tut:

Hmm and ill look around for some 3.0 V6 engines then..would it be easier to have a working gtv/166 and swap everything over ? or to buy it separately ? to tell you the truth, i dont have too much space either. so having a bravo and a gtv on the drive aswell as my current bravo would be hectic :/

im still gonna go through with a conversion, so first off really is to buy a HGT..then start to shop about for a v6 & gearbox...

·
Registered
39,603 Posts
I don't think there would be a massive difference in the running costs between a 20VT and an V6 to be honest.

The 20VT would most likely be better on fuel, and the Turbo shouldn't give trouble if it is looked after.

I have had a few turbo cars (Including Fiat Coupe's) and not had any turbo problems.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Heads up - there's a guy listing a 166 3.0 V6 on ebay that he's breaking. The listing says that the engine quite low mileage, and it's a 6 speed manual. Hop over to the 166 forum as someone posted a link to the listing.

But I've got to agree that a 20VT conversion would be the easier option. But then I'm biased as I bloody love the sound of the 20VT, and I know it's been done before so quite a lot more straight forward than trying to drop in a V6. But that's half the fun, isn't it :cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that is a coincidence, as I asked the guy how much he'd sell it for...basically he said around 300-400.. any good people ?

and...the coupe conversion..it would be easier, but v6 is definitely a different conversion to be doing :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well we agreed on a price that for £500 i could have the engine, gearbox and all the loom :)

thats not bad at all really, im rather chuffed with the price :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts