Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my Alfa.
So much so that I want my wife to sell her Qhashqai and go Italian too.
Question is ,as she does all short runs a diesel is unsuitable and I am worried about posts on here about multi air failures
which the 1.4 I am looking at uses.
Should I be concerned ?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I wouldn't worry about multiair reliability, Fiat (Alfa) have made hundreds of thousands of these engines, the percentage of failures is tiny, if its a problem it might be worth taking out an extended warranty, hang on, i've just remembered the acronym for Fiat is Fix It Again Tomorrow :biglaugh:

·
Registered
36,832 Posts
I wouldn't worry, as previously suggested.
It's Serbian though rather than Italian!
Where Yugos used to come from...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The 1.4 engines in the 500L don't have MultiAir, so no need to worry.

There's a 1.4 16v 95bhp engine, which is just a non-turbo engine which is used in many other models including some earlier Alfa MiTo's, plus the Fiat Doblo and the first few years of Fiat 500 production. It's not going to set any land-speed records but it's dependable.

There's also a 1.4 T-Jet 120bhp engine, which was only offered in UK spec 500L's for a few months, so is rare, but it's been available as the entry petrol engine in the Giulietta right since the Giulietta was launched, and it was in earlier MiTo's too, as well as some Grande Punto's. Again, a solid engine.

The only engine in the 500L with MultiAir tech is the TwinAir engine, but it's 0.9 litre. Again it was phased out of the 500L a while ago so there's not huge numbers of these around either. The TwinAir engine can have the same issue as MultiAir engines, but it seems to happen less often.

Whichever engine you settle on, make sure you have a good test drive, as the power on offer in most of the engines (except the very rare T-Jet and the 1.6 diesel) is adequate rather than plentiful. Most people seem to have gone for the diesel engines, probably because of their torque, which makes them feel more powerful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts