Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, returned yesterday from a 2200mile trip across europe in my wife's fiat 500 1.2 (pale blue lounge version)
what a super car!
not only did it despatch countries in a single bound, but it even did it in relatively calm throwing in ooodles of fun into the journey..
i'd say it could be described as an estate for 2 people:D ....so long as you drop the rear seats for useful extra luggage capacity.
in fact we lugged 3 suitcases, a crate of wine and loads of gifts in the seemingly tiny space...you could possibly think it was tardis like:lol:
the 1.2 litre engine needed a long drive somehwere to unwind the engine which had only doen 1750 miles before the trip.
and it really coped admirably. even managed 101mph on an autobahn (according to sat nav) as the speedometer was reading about 110mph (bit optimistic for a 1.2)
uphill is a stuggle but it wasnt bought to climb mountains anyway.
it drives like a peach, really handling corners sweetly without any roll and seems so much faster than it really is.the ride is stiff though..really stiff..
but i was really stumped by the reaction...everywhere we went it was like driving a bright green pineapple!!!:eek:
people stared and pointed..i was used to a bit a looking with the fiat coupe but this was in another league!
still...its great to drive a lovely car that seems to attract a lot of positive attention generally.
As far as reliability is concerned...well with almost 4000miles on the clock, we couldnt be happier and the car treated us to a fuss free european jaunt...
no great photos to post unfortunately as it was pouring with rain everywhere we went...
all in all...a great little car...and the 1.2 engine is really starting to sweeten...

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
sounds like you've got a cute little runner....:)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks BF....am hoping it'll always treat us well...we're in love with it..:inlove:
:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am VERY happy to hear how well your little car performed on its big trip - as in a few weeks I will be taking mine on a similar trip. Please check out the link for more details ....

Justgiving - The Italian Job 2008 Bambino to Torino

I have had mine for six months now and have only really used it for the short-stuck-in traffic jam-commute to work, and it was a bit of a gamble taking a 1.2 for touring.

Funny you mention luggage - we managed to get the Samsonite in the boot last night (cheating by unlatching the back seat and holding it in place with the rear seatbelts!), cos I wasn't keen on holdalls.

Glad you had a good time and have really 'bonded' with your little car:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
These wee Fiat 500s are getting everywhere. Have a look at what one of our club members in the NIIMC gets up to during the summer.

Little Fiat Big Adventure |

The 500 has been sold to the Lane Museum in Nashville so we've the first new Fiat 500 in a museum too :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These wee Fiat 500s are getting everywhere. Have a look at what one of our club members in the NIIMC gets up to during the summer.

Little Fiat Big Adventure |

The 500 has been sold to the Lane Museum in Nashville so we've the first new Fiat 500 in a museum too :D
I am VERY happy to hear how well your little car performed on its big trip - as in a few weeks I will be taking mine on a similar trip. Please check out the link for more details ....

Justgiving - The Italian Job 2008 Bambino to Torino

I have had mine for six months now and have only really used it for the short-stuck-in traffic jam-commute to work, and it was a bit of a gamble taking a 1.2 for touring.

Funny you mention luggage - we managed to get the Samsonite in the boot last night (cheating by unlatching the back seat and holding it in place with the rear seatbelts!), cos I wasn't keen on holdalls.

Glad you had a good time and have really 'bonded' with your little car:thumbs:
excellent stuff...well...best of luck Jenny..hope you have loads of fun on the way and just enjoy yourselves.
the car does need to be pushed hard to achieve speed but it sounds more fun and feels so much faster than its real speed...
however, if you push it hard on the motorway you'll notice a big drop in fuel consumption....sticking between 60-70mph does about rihgt..basically around 3000rpm
you need to be patient uphill...it can take really low gearing but it'll get there..
it is a surprisingly good little touring car...decepetively large and great for two up front but you do sit high which is ok but can be a little bit wearisome after long distances...the seats arent too bad though...not best but you wont feel uncomfortable at all..just stretch out:)
anyway...have fun again and hope you raise the funds:thumbs:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi broom_zoeyellow

Thanks for the tips and useful advice ... very reassuring. A BIGGER thankyou for your donation:thumbs:

Must admit - thought it would struggle a little bit on the mountain passes (other half wants to do the Stelvio .. eeek).

Having done the trip in a Mini before we thought it would be a doddle in a new modern car - however our pocket rocket has more horses and LOADS more torque, albeit less space - which is handy as we also have to take 50 Autoglym polished perfection packs (kindly provided for us to supply to 'jobbers' in Italy - hopefully in return for donations).

Really looking forward to getting to Turin and flying the flag for the 500s on the rooftop!

Hopefully the weather will be kinder to us than on your trip and we can take some good photos to show you all.

X

1 - 9 of 9 Posts