Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone is considering buying one of these. I must admit, I'll be taking a test drive - I think they look bloody lovely and it's rear wheel drive to boot.

My only concern is that it won't feel Italian enough with it being basically an MX5 underneath (apart from the engine).

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
I'll certainly be taking a close look and a testdrive. Some say that the original Mx5 derives more from the original 124 Spider , other than the Elan style which it initially followed.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I'm not sure what feeling Italian is from a chassis view. I do know that previous MX5's have been seriously good.
Drive one and decide. Me, I prefer the MX5's looks to that of the Fiat from pictures.

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
A friend who went to Goodwood had a chance to compare the Fiat and the Mazda and ,on looking in the boot , could spot the join where the "Italian " car extends from the original. I still find the Mazda looks a bit crumpled on the corners of the bumpers, perhaps to maximise the difference from the bigger boxier Fiat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone is considering buying one of these. I must admit, I'll be taking a test drive - I think they look bloody lovely and it's rear wheel drive to boot.

My only concern is that it won't feel Italian enough with it being basically an MX5 underneath (apart from the engine).

Your thoughts?
Saw the car at the expo in Geneva in the flesh and found it a terrific Italian styling. The first drives are positive. Haven't driven it myself though.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had a quick look last weekend as I went to check out the Giulia and they also had the 124 there. Very nice design, interior was very stylish.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,534 Posts
I'm not sure what feeling Italian is from a chassis view. I do know that previous MX5's have been seriously good.
Drive one and decide. Me, I prefer the MX5's looks to that of the Fiat from pictures.
I think the Fiat has more of a cool factor, seems every MX5 is driven by an old bloke.

Poo! What have I just said, I'm an old bloke (ish):biglaugh:

Reactions: Philjay50

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I think the Fiat has more of a cool factor, seems every MX5 is driven by an old bloke.

Poo! What have I just said, I'm an old bloke (ish):biglaugh:
A refreshing change from Hairdresser :lol:

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,534 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I like the look of the Arbarth and quite fancy one, my brother and his wife had an MX5, great car, fun to drive but my son put me off one when he pointed out they were the chosen weapon of the over 50's(read brother). Dream crashed. However, having had an original, I just so like the idea of another.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts