Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, you remember I shared this this chap's articulate review of the Alfetta GTV6 and the Renault 5 Turbo 2?

Now he has his paws on the Ferrari 458:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_BPjYk-F_U

There is a sensitivity and compassion to his review that makes it very authentic. I cannot imagine that Chris Evans ("Feel the heat, baby" - cringe) et al in the new Top Gear will ever be able to review a car with either the same technical nouse, empathy or sensativity this guy does.

"Ahh, but TG is shot so well!" So too is this video.

"New" Top Gear isn't just a TV stand off, but an internet one, too - is there anything sub-Top Gear about this review of the Ferrari? I think not.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I've seen a couple of Cironi's reviews They are very good.

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Hi Scud, thanks for posting this and the previous Cironi car reviews - I've enjoyed them all. :thumbs:
As you say, his passion and knowledge are evident; it's clear that he's very serious about cars - probably too serious for TG, the humour element of which is a major component of its wide popularity.

(I think I would have enjoyed this slightly less if I didn't understand Italian, partly because there are quite a few linguistic errors in the English subtitles.)

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(I think I would have enjoyed this slightly less if I didn't understand Italian, partly because there are quite a few linguistic errors in the English subtitles.)
yes boss, you are right - the translations are a bit ropey in places; but what is interesting is that what they lose in language accuracy, they still convey the sentiment/spirit. You're in no doubt about what he's thinking :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
The Clarkson era TG were not about car reviews. Just hooning around in petrol related japes. Same will be true of the new Amazon show and the new TG.

Cironi is different. His passion shines through all the different vehicles.

This his mk1 Lotus Exige. He gets Lotus.

https://youtu.be/8uKj_ABjLis

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Clarkson era TG were not about car reviews. Just hooning around in petrol related japes. Same will be true of the new Amazon show and the new TG.
I agree mate, and I love it and miss it for that. I can't wait to see Jezza et al come back. My point was directed more at the new BBC Top Gear with Evans. But it is unfair to write it off before seeing it, but the bar is getting raised higher and higher not just by the established elite on TV (like JC), but by the currently unknown - yet excellent - reviews on t'internet, like Davide C's Drive Experience. I will wait to see what Chris Evans can tell anyone about a car.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I have subscribed to his channel and look forward to watching some of his reviews.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
New Top Gear was never really about reviewing cars. There are magazines (and I'm guessing this link) about for that.

I'm a Clarkson fan because like me he's a right dick but I'm going to give New, New Top Gear a chance and especially as the brilliant journalist Chris Harris is on it.

New Top Gear was for me by and far the best show on TV for years. I would go out of my way to watch, no other programme has ever done that.

Mostly journalism is on new cars and unless they are supercars or Alfas then it's going to be mostly outright ditchwater.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts