Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Ordered a full set of MTEC drilled and groved discs and am about to order a set of DS3000 pads front and rear for my 3.0L GTV.

I note there are two reference numbers for the car for front pads:

FCP 409R which I can get for £76.34 REAR
ECP 1113R which I can get for £105.55 REAR

Anyone know which is correct ref for 1998 phase 1 3.0L GTV?

I had used DS3000 pads previously and the braking (with goodridge cables) was astounding:wow: The only problem as everyone knows is squeeling:cry: which drove me crazy previously.

I understoood applying something like: Pagid Anti Squeal Brake Lube (Pagid Cera-Tec 75Ml / Copper & Acid Free) which will operate up to 1000' to rear of pads would stop squeeling. see: J13082: Anti Squeal Brake Lube (Pagid Cera-Tec 75Ml / Copper & Acid Free / Non Conductive & ABS Friendly) : Just Kampers

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah....... I have been told Rear DS3000 are FCP 409R at £76.
Front DS3000 are FCP 721R at £146.
So total pads:£222 (ouch)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
DS3000 are a full race pad, not recommend for road use at all.
Ferodo even go as far as saying: "WARNING: DS3000 is NOT suitable for road use."

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
That spec is totally OTT for road use and possibly dangerous when cold. You certainly don't need anything special on the rears, fronts do all the work - unless its all track use.

Have heard that ceratec does cure all squeals!

Did all 3.0s have 305mm discs? Certainly TSs are smaller - could explain different refs.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
fronts do all the work - unless its all track use.
Ferodo don't even spec DS3000 on the rear of a FWD for full race use...!

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Knowing some racers they don't even use DS2500 on the rear as they state it's too much rear bias. I run stock rears and I wouldn't upgrade them, but I will be fitting GTA 274mm rear discs and calliper carriers.

If the car is for track only or you have track specific discs and pads when on trackdays then fair enough, but on the road way OTT.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks to all.

I used DS on front for a year previously and they were the best pads I've ever used. The isssue of poor cold performance was not really an issue as I found after the first use of the brakes needed slightly harder pedal pressure and thereafter they were great. This slight dissadvantage was, IMHO, little to pay for higher speed stopping power.

With the DS3000 front I did previuosly run tarox SJ disks on rear with AR standard pads.

I think I will go for DS3000 (or DS2500, but have never tried them) for the front but what would you suggest for the rear to ensure a good brake balance and good wallet balance?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
...but I will be fitting GTA 274mm rear discs and calliper carriers...
Is this a straight fit? the calipers and carriers I mean? I've been enquiring about this all the time and no one seems to have the right answer. The only thing that bothers me about the GTV is the fact that I always felt that it could do with some better rear brakes, for my style of driving.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Offset is different isnt it?

And yes lowered gtv could brake better at the rear (less dive in on front)

Mine was lightened at the front and middle so i put 280mm discs at the rear with same calipers on brackets and now she's much more stable at braking and on last track day i outbraked almost everything! Front ds2500 on 330mm discs, rear stock pads on 280mm disc

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I think I will go for DS3000 (or DS2500, but have never tried them) for the front but what would you suggest for the rear to ensure a good brake balance and good wallet balance?
Std pads for the rear.

Originally I rad DS2500 front (305mm Brembo) and DS-Performance rear (normal 251mm disc) and that balance was perfect.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
But gtv has 240mm discs at the rear.

If you look at first 147 GTA it has 305mm front and 276 rear, then you compare that to gtv V6 (that has accu in the boot and a little better weight distribution) 305 front 240 rear. You can see that 240 rear is just too small and they just used it because it's from 155/tipo platform... Italians really dont think much about anything.

As i said i have 280 at the back and it doesnt feel overbraked at the rear and i think i'll go even bigger in the future (when i shift some more weight from front to back)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Alan,:thumbs:

I'll go for the DS2500 front and DS perfomance rear.
I have coilovers, fully polyflexed, C&B cams, etc etc. hence can handle / need the greater breaking offered by DS pads. While the DS3000 were fantastic, sooner or later someone was going to rear end me as they stopped me on a sixpence. Guess DS2500 can be better modulated for road use.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Guess DS2500 can be better modulated for road use.
Modulation with the DS2500 is very good.
They have very good release characteristics so very nice to use on the road.
They are not the sort of pad where you just have a choice of either full-braking or no-braking...!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts