Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a tip if you doing the GTA brake upgrade, and I suspect even if you arent but are putting on Tarox grooved discs. I did this and put Ferodo DS2500 pads on as everyone seems to say these are the absolute best on the market. That may be the case, but I tried it and they scream like a banshee, I mean it was really bad, not just a loud squeak, it sounded like a train stopping, I actually though there must be stones stuck in my pads. My girlfriend said the noise was making her want to vomit, and it really was embarrassingly bad. So I junked them and put standards on, these hardly squeak at all.

See my other thread for my query re discs.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had DS2500 - a little squeeking. Recently changed to EBC redstuff. Redstuff miles better and much cheaper. They're slightly (really only slightly) worse when cold, but once warmed up they're far ahead of the DS2500.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
My Red Stuffs on drilled and grooved discs caused a following Brera to worry that my car was about to die...............can go for weeks with silence then days of squeels.
Said Brera drivers wife gave the brakes a good 'talking to' silent since..:lol:

·
Registered
12,751 Posts
EBC greenstuff are squeel free......so far, only had them on for 400 miles, definately far less brake dust.........:thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
I always thought DS2500s were alright, but not a patch on the Performance Friction pads which I am now a total convert to.

I do think plain discs are better for fast road pads though, as you need the heat to get the pads into their performance zone.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Johnny, did you do any special bedding in of the DS2500s?
Or just drive around enthusiastically for a bit?

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trailbraker-

I drove enthusiastically for a bit - to test my new braking setup of course - then had to drive about 60 miles to get home (normal driving). Then another few days of normal careful driving, but the screaming just got worse, it was actually worse in normal driving, if you braked hard it stopped.

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
Trailbraker-

I drove enthusiastically for a bit - to test my new braking setup of course - then had to drive about 60 miles to get home (normal driving). Then another few days of normal careful driving, but the screaming just got worse, it was actually worse in normal driving, if you braked hard it stopped.
I think they are possibly glazed - you really do need to follow the bedding in instructions with the DS2500s - this was pointed out to me as being of the upmost importance when I had them fitted years ago on my first 156 which was a 2.4 10v. Mine eventually started squealing on light braking - a few hard stops used to shut it up for a few miles. I was only 20 at the time though so wasn't really fussed - these days it would do my nut in.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Thanks Johnny the reason I was asking is that I have used several sets of DS2500's previously and they reallly do not that work well at all until you have superheated them through the bedding in process and allowed to cool without touching the brakes as much as possible.

It really takes a bit of effort - about 25 hard stops from 90mph to 60 on an empty motorway.
Leave the clutch in when braking and the brakes have to work much harder.
You really need to work them..

If you don't do this, and I only did it half heartedly on my first set, you get what feels like brake fade the first time the pads reach a certain temperature.

For track driving the PF pads are slightly better than the DS2500s, but for road driving they are way better

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
That said DS2500s did occasionally squeal for very light braking..
PFs are much quieter in my experience.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
100% sounds like Johnny didn't follow the enclosed bedding-in procedure.
It is very extreme and unlike any bedding-in you will have done before.

Never had any squeal from my DS2500 pads.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put DS2500 on my car this summer (standard discs) and I did the radical bedding in procedure. Brake preformance is fenomenal compared with original and I don't have any squeeling....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I definitely didnt do the above bedding procedure: didnt even know about it, pads fitted by my mechanic and he didnt say owt about it.

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
where is that road you do this bedding procedure? =)
25 times hard braking 90 to 60... this would cause massacre here...
It says you need access to a test strip or a private road on the bedding in procedures..

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I put DS2500 on my car this summer (standard discs) and I did the radical bedding in procedure. Brake preformance is fenomenal compared with original and I don't have any squeeling....
Aye! Aye! :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I definitely didnt do the above bedding procedure: didnt even know about it, pads fitted by my mechanic and he didnt say owt about it.
:tut: to your mechanic...!

Very clear bedding-in instructions are in the box and he should have passed them on to you.

All done within 10-minutes on a quiet road. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts