Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes on the spider got so bad recently that i had to take the car off the road, pedal to the floor and not stopping at all.

Anyway, i'll be overhauling them this weekend, rebuilding the master cylinder and fitting goodridge hoses and was thinking about replacing the pads. There's plenty on the existing pads but i dont know how long they've been on there.

Ive seen the DS2500's but they're quite pricey compared to the standards but are they worth the money for normal road use?

thanks

Simon

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
They are indeed the best pads performance wise you can buy but considering you can buy front pads for 19 pounds on ebay it is a hard pill to swallow unless you have new discs and brake lines and still have plenty of cash to spare. Personally, i have found that i have modified my brake technique on the Spider whereby i stamp and then lift off before stamping again and lift off and stamp. ........ as the standard brakes are pretty awful.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
One word. Yes......;)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks,

that was my old technique too but it got a bit dangerous!

Ferodo standard fronts £17.19 with free delivery
Ferodo DS2500 £72 plus delivery

best check my bank balance!

Im also guessing the DS2500's will wear down quicker, how much quicker?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Perhaps you should try rebuilding it with standard pads first and if you still not happy try 2500's. I'd only worry about the fronts, the rears could be standard pads which would save some money.

Mine stops pretty well considering it's a 50 year old design, but I'm running DS2500's on new discs at the front, standard pads on the rear.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My Spider 1750 S2 has std. disks and pads front and rear that been sitting there for 7 years and it stops fine for both cruising and spirited driving. I have new front pads; but inspection in the spring showed plenty of friction material left.
If I was to use it on tracks or rallying I would fit something better.
Erik

·
Registered
40 Posts
definitely worth every penny if you drive hard!

years ago when i have a honda civic, i fitted them for a track day and she stood on her nose even with standard disks!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Mines got standard pads and discs and I'm always amazed how good they are, fit standard stuff and it'll be fine, just make sure everything else is working OK

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do they take warming up ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
initially yes, but it doesnt take much to get them warmed.

and when they are cold, its not like theyre dangerous or anything. you just have to push the pedal a bit harder
When they are new they need a bit of warming up, but after a couple of weeks they are even better in cold condition than the standard pads.

The difference between OEM and DS2500 pads is quite massive; they bite a lot better and the point of fading is almost non existend under normal or fast road use.

At least that's my experience with the DS2500 on my Alfa 159.

·
Registered
630 Posts
With ebc green stuff about half the price of ds2500............ How do they compare........ Worth twice.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive gone for standard ferodo's front and back for £38 delivered so happy with that. I dont do anything silly so hopefully they'll do the job and if not i can shell out at a later date.

thanks

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
546 Posts
Tarox

I've tried almost every brake pad in my Alfetta saloon over the last 22 years: Mintex M1122, EBC green, yellow and red, Ferodo DS2500 and all the Tarox pads.

EBC Green? Great cold 'bite' but too unstable and fade-prone at elevated temperatures.

Other EBCs? Terribly long warm up, so too scary when cold.

Mintex M1122? Fantastic (probably the best) at racing speeds, but a bit too lame from cold for sensible road use.

Ferodo 2500? Terrific bite when hot but a bit of warm-up needed, so not totally brilliant on a January morning in the UK. Better than the Mintex 1122s though, and just fine if you're really tanking on....

Tarox 112 'Strada'? Great from cold, and one firm application gets them to perfection - then cane them all you like right up to 600 deg.C before they start fading.

If the brake pads on a road car get over 600 deg.C, then you really do need to bleedin' well slow down a bit...

Put my name down for the Tarox 112s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
as the standard brakes are pretty awful.
Over here, US, the standard brakes on my 86 Spider were very good to begin with.

Added larger bore MC,(higher, firmer peddle), stainless steel over-braided teflon lines, and EBC green pads (very good for the money, I think) and have to be careful to make sure the guy behind me has room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts