Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sourced from www.motorsportworld.com - Arrived promptly and very well packaged.

It was fitted by Bianco Auto Developments near Gatwick.

The disks look pretty purposeful, the pads are encased in black with a small, poorly printed, Ferodo Racing legend on them.

The two things the mechanic mentioned to me was cold performance of the pads and noise under extreme braking from the disks. I had the pads fitted during the cold snap and can honestly say they were fine when starting at -3C or so. Even the first stop was adequate, I felt in no danger of overshooting T-junctions! As for the disks, in normal use I'd be hard pushed to detect that I had grooved disks on. The mechanic recommended after 100 miles of running to give it one or two quick stops from high speed to give the pads a final bed in. 100 miles came and went and I did two consecutive 80-0 mph stops. There was almost no noise from the grooved disks, just a slight whirring type noise. Very happy with that.

At the same time as having worn front disks & pads replaced with Ferodo & Red Dot I had a sticky rear caliper freed and standard Bendix pads on the rear.

The difference over the previous setup is quite substantial and feels quite impressive - almost like a big hand has grabbed the car and pulled it back. I had wanted to do a comparison timing, but the two days before fitting were during the snow and ice and there were no empty roads that were safe to do this on.

I haven't done the amount of braking where I would notice fade as yet, so these impressions are probably mostly from the pads. The grovves should at least stop any galzing of these hard racing pads.

All this and less brake dust on the fronts than on the rears with their new Bendix pads! When I washed the car after about 300 miles on these new pads I also directed a jet of water at the grooves to dislodge any crud that was accumulating.

F

·
0 Posts
Simon156 said:

The disks look pretty purposeful, the pads are encased in black with a small, poorly printed, Ferodo Racing legend on them.

The two things the mechanic mentioned to me was cold performance of the pads and noise under extreme braking from the disks. I had the pads fitted during the cold snap and can honestly say they were fine when starting at -3C or so. Even the first stop was adequate, I felt in no danger of overshooting T-junctions! As for the disks, in normal use I'd be hard pushed to detect that I had grooved disks on. The mechanic recommended after 100 miles of running to give it one or two quick stops from high speed to give the pads a final bed in. 100 miles came and went and I did two consecutive 80-0 mph stops. There was almost no noise from the grooved disks, just a slight whirring type noise. Very happy with that.

At the same time as having worn front disks & pads replaced with Ferodo & Red Dot I had a sticky rear caliper freed and standard Bendix pads on the rear.

The difference over the previous setup is quite substantial and feels quite impressive - almost like a big hand has grabbed the car and pulled it back. I had wanted to do a comparison timing, but the two days before fitting were during the snow and ice and there were no empty roads that were safe to do this on.

All this and less brake dust on the fronts than on the rears with their new Bendix pads! When I washed the car after about 300 miles on these new pads I also directed a jet of water at the grooves to dislodge any crud that was accumulating.

F

·
0 Posts
Simon156 said:

Interesting thread. I see you`ve got a 1.8 too. I `m going to upgrade my brakes to Red dot pads and discs when cash allow. I was only going for the XJ range (6 groove) . 20 groove sounds like a pad destroyer to me

·
Registered
30,202 Posts
Simon, did the RedDot grooved discs come with any instructions or markings to show the correct direction of rotation?
The instructions with my Brembos have the grooves running the other way to yours.

Edit: finally worked out how to get attachments up!

·
Administrator
46,381 Posts
Bloody hell Dave, are you sure you're axle stands are big enough? :cheese:
How have you got the car so far off the ground?

·
Registered
30,202 Posts
bazza said:
Bloody hell Dave, are you sure you're axle stands are big enough? :cheese:
How have you got the car so far off the ground?
It is about 4 or 5 feet in the air, but it is at a friend's garage on their 4-post lift.

·
Administrator
46,381 Posts
Ah, that'd make a bit more sense then.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The Brembo discs I have now have the grooves in the opposite direction to the Hormann discs I had before and the Hormann ones I still have on the rear. These were actually marked with an arrow for direction of rotation.

I ran the Brembos the other way around for a day and didn't feel any difference but that was the first day I fitted them.

David - so you've got the Brembo kit fitted - initial impressions?

·
Administrator
46,381 Posts
Found this ad on a GT-Turbo tuning page:
GTT Blueprint Crossdrilled Rear Brake Discs (B120)
Left and right matched pairs. 40 hole, directional pattern

But most ads I see don't mention them being directional, of course it might only be in the fitting instructions.

·
Administrator
46,381 Posts
And just found this elsewhere, so obviously directional and non-directional discs exist:
Special slots, (which are non-directional and designed to work in combination with the cross-drilling) help dissipate water, dirt and dust and further combat out-gassing

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Pascs said:
The Brembo discs I have now have the grooves in the opposite direction to the Hormann discs I had before and the Hormann ones I still have on the rear. These were actually marked with an arrow for direction of rotation.
Interesting to see that different grooved discs go in different directions. My Tar-Ox's instruction has a similar fitment direction to the Red Dot.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
David C said:
Simon, did the RedDot grooved discs come with any instructions or markings to show the correct direction of rotation?
The instructions with my Brembos have the grooves running the other way to yours.
I don't think so. The garage fitted them for me and as one of them had them on their own car and they run their own race team I didn't give it a second thought...until now :eek:

It looks right, that wheel is rotating clockwise going forward with the calipers at the front of the wheel. As pressure is applied the dust/gas/heat is forced outwards to the edge of the disk by centrifical forces???

I shall investigate further.

Maybe this attachment is clearer.

David C said:
I'd post a picture if I could work out how to do it with this new forum!, so a link will have to do:
Manage attachments towards the bottom of post message screen (not on quick reply?).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Red dots to fit on different ways.

I have 6 goved Discs and Fast road pads on my 145.

the 6 groved go one way and the 10/20 goved go the other way.

There loads better than my OEM discs and ferodo pads.

I would love to get Brembos but i would need to get 17" wheels on my car. So i will do one day. but for now the red dots rule the roost ;)

·
Registered
30,202 Posts
Simon156 said:
Manage attachments towards the bottom of post message screen (not on quick reply?).
OK, think I've found it, difficult to tell without posting because it doesn't show on the preview.
The whole "Additional Options" area was minimised :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts