Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
I know you can use the Ferodo DSPerformance (+15% braking coefficient) and DS2500 (race pad, recommended!!!!) with the standard discs. I've done so for about 15,000 miles so far. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the "Racing" pad shown here. It's possible the "Racing" pad is the DS2500 repackaged/rebranded for the italian market?

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
I've done a little searching and can't find the pad on that site on any Ferodo guides. If it's the DS3000, DS3000+ or 4003 then DO NOT fit it to your road car. The first few applications of the brakes will barely warm the pad and you'll have an accident.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
the DS performance and DS2500 are fine with std discs, infact drilled/grooved are not necessary with them. Race pads may cause premature disc wear to all discs, and are no good for road use.

Check out Ferodo web site maybe?

Anyway I have 2500 front & 'performace' rear. This is FAB. But as i dont do track days, to be honest, I would go for DS Performace all round next time as there will be less squeel in normal use (from the 2500's), and better front rear balance for the road. Now the front are soo good, under extremely heavey braking the rear is so light it squirms sometimes - but fitting 2500's to rear may mean your handbrake aint very good when cools overnight.

Anyway the ferodos are simply the best pads you can get! - and 2500 are more than good for track use, they are a track day pad

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Dosh said:
I know you can use the Ferodo DSPerformance (+15% braking coefficient) and DS2500 (race pad, recommended!!!!) with the standard discs. I've done so for about 15,000 miles so far. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the "Racing" pad shown here. It's possible the "Racing" pad is the DS2500 repackaged/rebranded for the italian market?

Hope I can find Ferodo DSPerformance pads here at my dealer. Thanx for advice. ;)

What about brake lines, do they make a difference?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Not got them, but braided brake hoses should make the pdel firmer

Also change brake fluid each year, use castrol super DOT 4

Pads check out the ferodo site for your countries distributor.

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Braided hoses make a big difference. I had these fitted at the same time as the DS2500 pads.

If you really want fade-free performance, look for Ferodo DOT5.1 fluid (NOT DOT5 as this will slaughter your ABS, caliper seals and is not compatible with DOT4) as this is a race-spec fluid with higher boiling point and better heat dispersal qualities. That's next on my list :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thats there

The Castrol super dot 4 is suposed to be better than 5.1 though I read in castrols blurb. Either will be great.

Pads wise that site advertises DS2000 - these are obsolete, replaced by DS performance, but there is old stock around. nothing wrong with DS200, but you may want to check what they actually will send is the DS perf. or get the DS2500, and a little bit of low speed squeel.

S

·
0 Posts
I had an interesting and informative chat on the phone with a technical man at Ferodo and he says to all intents and purposes the DS2000 and DSPerformance are identical, you would not notice the difference. He also said that the DS2500 are technically illegal on a road car, however good and practical they are in everyday use. They have not been homologated for road use and are not necessarily recognised by Insurance companies. :eek:

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Sillyspeed said:
They have not been homologated for road use and are not necessarily recognised by Insurance companies. :eek:
You'd have to tell them, there's no way they're gonna find out :D
BTW; my DS performance pads squeel like hell :rolleyes:

-- hoygs

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
Sillyspeed said:
... He also said that the DS2500 are technically illegal on a road car, however good and practical they are in everyday use. They have not been homologated for road use and are not necessarily recognised by Insurance companies. :eek:
That will be due to EU Reg90 approval (which DS2500 do not have because of the high friction level). Whether your car requires Reg90 pads or not varies depending on whose info you read.
I read on Ferodo's site (I think!) that Reg90 applies to cars homologated after Sept 1999, possibly even Jan 2000. Now my 156 Selespeed was built in Oct 1999 but the Alfa 156 Selespeed was homologated in December 1998 so Reg90 doesn't apply.
However some places say that it applies to all cars built after Sept 1999...

S

·
0 Posts
I have just bought them for my car and am waiting to fit some DSPerfs to the rear before I'll make judgement on whether I like them or not (still got well-worn OEM's on rear). But the guy quoted me an instance of a bad accident where an Insurance company didn't pay up and a guy got prosecuted for using them. In this instance, if the DS2500 are good pads and stop the car well, legally it doesn't matter. If the Law is an ass, you will get shafted! :confused:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
DSPerfs aren't yet available for the rear of 2002- 156s. I have DS2500 on the front and want to upgrade the rears too. The OE rear pads are shagged anyway, probably because of the high pressures needed to stop with the useless OE front pads. Anyone know of an upgrade rear pad, not just an OE equivalent? :confused:
Cheers,
Simon_S

·
Registered
355 Posts
LONDON 66, from looking around for new pads have you found problems trying to work out what pads the 1.6 uses? I ask this because 50% of places state the same part as the 2.0 where as others state it uses smaller pads.

Before i started looking i was under the impression that the 1.6 120bhp and the 2.0 had the same brakes, but the 1.6 105 had smaller brakes, now im not so sure and dont want to waste my money on the wrong pads

Cheers

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Ferodo's own site has an application guide http://www.elcome.ltd.uk/DSPerf/index.asp which shows the different outlines of the pads in question. (They only seem to do a front pad as DSPerformance).

The actual fitment guide isn't perfect as it doesn't differentiate between some of the earlier and later models where Alfa went for the larger pad, but there is a foolproof way to check:

If the pad has a large hump on top edge of the back plate (smack-bang in the middle, about 15mm high) then you need the smaller pad FDS1134. The larger pad FDS1052 doesn't have this hump on the top.

·
Registered
355 Posts
just had a look but unfortunately i cant see without taking the wheel off. Can anyone else with a 1.6 lusso confirm what size pads were needed?

thanks

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
Sillyspeed said:
In this instance, if the DS2500 are good pads and stop the car well, legally it doesn't matter. If the Law is an ass, you will get shafted! :confused:
It also depends on if "EU Reg90" applies to your car or not, it isn't back-dated to apply to every car ever built...

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
Simon_S said:
DSPerfs aren't yet available for the rear of 2002- 156s.... Anyone know of an upgrade rear pad, not just an OE equivalent?
Ferodo Premier are available for the rear of 2001> 156 & all 147, they are better than OEM equivalent but not as good as DS-Performance. You need so little braking on the rear of a FWD car that they should be fine, you have a slightly larger rear disc on 2001> 156 too.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
winrya said:
LONDON 66, from looking around for new pads have you found problems trying to work out what pads the 1.6 uses? I ask this because 50% of places state the same part as the 2.0 where as others state it uses smaller pads.

Before i started looking i was under the impression that the 1.6 120bhp and the 2.0 had the same brakes, but the 1.6 105 had smaller brakes, now im not so sure and dont want to waste my money on the wrong pads

Cheers

Was under the same impression as you, maybe we can find this out by the supplier...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts