Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone used one of those spray gun thingies to woodstain fence panels?

i've got 5 new 6x4 panels coming next week to replace some wind-damaged ones. need to stain both sides so will be an arduous job with a brush. are the spray gun things any good, worth the investment?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have one which has a mini compressor on a belt. Its great if you want the job done quickly but I have reservations as to the amount of protection it offers compared to slopping it on with a brush.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If you’re going to use creosote you can use one of these for £10 - £15 and the job will take no time.

Pressure-Spray-Kettle-LT-8009-.jpg

If you’re going to use a coloured stain they tend to be too thick for the sprayer above.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
He won't reach the top of the fence!!:D
:lol:

Two little men then. One can stand on the other's shoulders:thumbs:

(honestly, you men. Do we women have to think of everything?;))

·
Administrator
45,540 Posts
How do you avoid spraying most of your neighbours garden with woodstain?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I've got one of those ronseal paint sprayers and it's pretty (as long as you use the correct type of stain), slight word of warning though they use about twice as much stain as applying it with a brush ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
warninig warning do not use the spray gun whilst there is any wind or even slight breeze,a mate of mine did this he got a bill for cleaning the next doors soffits,gutters window frames,patio doors,the lot:tut: believe me it was everywhere

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
warninig warning do not use the spray gun whilst there is any wind or even slight breeze,a mate of mine did this he got a bill for cleaning the next doors soffits,gutters window frames,patio doors,the lot:tut: believe me it was everywhere

Also don't let a 4 year old have a go (unsupervised) :lol:

(I've still got green splatters on my back door)

·
Registered
180 Posts
i have also heard of someone who actually used the origional creosote in one, not the water based stuff the proper toxic stuff,nearly killed the pet rabbits

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Get a brush and take your time - the results are much much better, and as an added bonus, you don't get a brown tint on any exposed skin oh and you don't have to go next-door to wash, clay & polish their white Peugeot :mad:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
I tried it with a garden sprayer - it stated it was suitable

It sprays faster than the liquid can soak in... so you end up belting around
like a lunatic... and of course it goes every where but where you want.

I've got an old fashioned Distemper brush 12" wide.... It was my Dads.
Superb
But I don't lend it out :D

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I've got a Cuprinol electric one. If it broke I would buy another straight away. Absolutely brilliant. I've had no problems with poor coverage or using excess product. It takes less time than brush painting but as said precautions against over spray have to be taken which can eat into the time saving a bit. The main thing is it's not deathly boring and laborious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts