Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After loving my first alfa (156 v6) and loving it even more recently due to a new MAF (felt like a new car) I think it might have made itself unsalvagable due to the gearbox going, though I'm hoping there might be a slight chance it coulb be something else so I'm calling on your expertise to let me know what you think it is.

I made a trip to manchester for a few days from berkshire a couple of nights ago. 20 mins into my journey on the M40 I noticed a high pitched whistling noise. Straight away it reminded me of the same noise on my old golf before the gearbox went. The whistling noise stayed with me, initially it was only when I gave it a bit of gas but then after a while it became constant. Got into Manchester and in the low gears there was a noise which I can only describe as a grinding/breathy noise (sorry for the rubbish description).

Didn't drive the car in Manchester, made my way back home last night and 10 mins down the M1 it popped out of 6th gear, slotted it back in and 2 mins later popped out again, slotted it back in popped out staright away and didnt want to go back in. Cut a long story short I made it home in 5th (that popped out a few times aswell) though I realised if I was constant and light on the gas it would be okay. Got back to Reading stopped at lights and had to fight to get it in 1st, as soon as I drove in the low gears there was a strong burning smell.

I know it's probably the gearbox, I probably screwed the clutch somehow aswell which I presume was the burning smell. Im not sure if its even worth repairing as as lovely as it is, I could probably buy a new one for the same price as the repairs. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry come to think of it it was August and I have had an oil leak since then. Do you think thats the reason for it going and does it sound like the gearbox to you David?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Better the devil you know .. get a replacement box, new clutch and go for it. A different car could have more problems than yours! ;)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
The old Mini never suffered this, engine and gearbox used the same oil....clever Isigonis !

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
I never said there was no oil in the gearbox, you just made that assumption
Well, you said you checked it in August and said it had been leaking since.
So combine that info with the noises made by a gearbox with no oil in it and you can see why we have made that assumption!

So, have you looked to see if there is any in there now?
(although it is obviously too late to make a difference...!)

·
Registered
139 Posts
is there a play in the gear lever once in gear? could the champ who replaced your dmf missaligned/bent somerhing? hope it sorted out easily and on the cheap

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
is there a play in the gear lever once in gear? could the champ who replaced your dmf missaligned/bent somerhing? hope it sorted out easily and on the cheap
New MAF, not DMF.
The v6 doesn't have a DMF anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, you said you checked it in August and said it had been leaking since.
So combine that info with the noises made by a gearbox with no oil in it and you can see why we have made that assumption!

So, have you looked to see if there is any in there now?
(although it is obviously too late to make a difference...!)
No I said there was an oil leak, not the gearbox was leaking so there's nothing to say the gearbox hasn't got any oil in it. And no I haven't checked, number 1 it's too dark and number 2 my eyes get teary when I go near her

1 - 20 of 27 Posts