Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Unlike the prime minister, I am not going to demonise the dinner lady, the cleaner or the nurse, people who earn in a week what the Chancellor pays for his annual skiing holiday!”
I heard this yesterday on PMQ, but then forgot about it.

It took a friend of mine to blog it to remind me...
Careers advice from Mr Miliband | It's All Downhill From Here

Then it took a few seconds googling on my part to find out how much George Osbourne's ski trip was last year...
George Osborne on £11k ski holiday while British families face year of austerity | Mail Online

Now, I'm not a financier, nor am I a great mathematician, but £11,000 per week would be a salary of £572,000 per annum. I'd even wear a dress to be a dinner lady for that kind of money.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:cool: I want to be a dinner lady !

I :lol: when I heard that comment.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Contributions at the current level, or the suggested increase?

So, the facts are that a dinner lady will be £275 per week worse off, based on Ed's maths.

Wow.

£275 would nearly pay for a week's ski trip...

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
I love that blog! :lol:

It's All Downhill From Here said:
This might sound a tad extortionate, but remember he’s not having to cook his own dinner on two hotplates and sleep within half a metre of someone with whom he is not necessarily sexually intimate. Or not at the beginning of the week anyway.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
It didn't sound right to me yesterday and I heard confirmation of it on Today in Parliament lastnight or today on Today.

I am wondering if we need to appoint some unelected technocrats to get us out of the mess if it means we take the best decisions and actions without having to play party politics.

The competitive shouting in Parliament yesterday just made me think again that we should have elected more independents to keep them on track and to stop them playing party politics.

:(

What we got for the 70 Harriers (keeping two for museums) would cover the cost of one F35 Joint Strike Fighter or Joint Striker as some woman on some committe in parliament called them the other day.

What would you rather have? 70 Alfa 156s now, or one 8C in 2020?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I heard this last night too. What a total idiot and exactly what I'd expect from that gormless twonk

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I seriously think the Torys have no worries about reelections as long as he's at the helm of Labour.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I voted for Dianne Abbott and have a bet with PaddyPower that Hilary Benn is the next Labour leader.

I've just realise perhaps I keep hearing a lot of Ed Balls as he's keen to be the next leader?

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
David Milliband will wait for his brother to screw it up, then step in.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I voted for Dianne Abbott
She would have been my choice too - she appears articulate, has a sense of humour and while she may have her own opinion, she's not blindly closed to the possibility that someone else's idea might be just as good/better.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
Dianne Abbott is a communist though isn't she?

I can't see me ever supporting Labour again, but we do need an effective opposition, and the two Ed's really don't have what it takes.

N

·
0 Posts
On the other hand, is it right that a tax-dodger like Osbourne is in charge of finances?

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
On the other hand, is it right that a tax-doger like Osbourne is in charge of finances?
It's alright, he's got Phillip Green as an adviser :thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I think Eddie boy said it deliberately so that we would get the true astronomical figure that Georgie' boy spent getting his bum cold and wet. :D

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts