Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Sounds easier than mine!!! (but probably not) Got my nut to the end of the bolt and belted the hell out of it.....no way would it move, but i hadn't applied heat.

Just got hold of some standard disks front and back (QH) and EBC pads front and back £110 all in from Sutton Auto Factors, local to me.
try to apply the heat to the bolt.. hex end and thread end.. obviously it will expand.. get it very hot and then sling a bucket of water at it.. it's the rapid cooling/contraction that breaks the bond. If you get a good loud 'quench' sound and wacking great clouds of steam you should be ok..

·
Registered
384 Posts
try to apply the heat to the bolt.. hex end and thread end.. obviously it will expand.. get it very hot and then sling a bucket of water at it.. it's the rapid cooling/contraction that breaks the bond. If you get a good loud 'quench' sound and wacking great clouds of steam you should be ok..
Thanks Seadart, when I get onto the front end of the car this will be my first job! I'll let you know how I get on.:thumbs:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Old thread I know, but I'm just taking some comfort in readings these posts as I currently have 3 of the 4 strut bolts completed f*****. Nuts loose but the rest of the bolt totally seized on all 3 despite gallons of PlusGas, hammer blows, butchering the head with every conceivable tool... I've got myself a blowtorch today so that's the next stage. I hope you guys got the bolts out in the end, 9 years on, haha.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If it’s these you mean then I had exactly the same problem... the only solution I found was to cut the nuts off with an angle grinder and hammer them out. The flange around the base of the nut means a normal nut splitter won’t work. Once the nut is off, hammer them out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cutting disk on a dremel or similar and cut the nut along the bolt shank.

Stupid design - even if the nuts weren't made out of cholcolate there's at best 2/3 of a normal nut height available for purchase with the socket. Fine to do up when new - less good to undo 20 years later.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes those are the buggers. For me the nuts actually came loose, but the rest of the bolt was completely seized in each one. I would like to report however that this evening I managed to get one side off! (with the help of this pair by my side). Repeated heat and cold water action, banging, swearing and eventually a slightly smaller imperial socket hammered on the end and a breaker bar... Now I just have a single (butchered bolt) remaining on the other side, which I think will need the grinder.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Nice dogs!

Good work on the bolt, it seems like they might benefit from some preventative maintenance - perhaps cover them in waxoyl?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Nice dogs!

Good work on the bolt, it seems like they might benefit from some preventative maintenance - perhaps cover them in waxoyl?
On mine, I put a dab of grease on the unthreaded part of the bolts to hopefully stop them getting stuck next time it all comes apart. A dab on the exposed thread after torquing should help stop them corroding without any adverse effect.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well guys, tonight I finally got the last lower strut bolt out. What an absolute mission that was. Ended up with the angle grinder, chopped the bolt head of completely and some of the strut itself too - it still wouldn't move. In the end, I put a nut back on and tightened it as much as I could until it started slowly pulling the bolt through slightly. It moved just enough for me place another bolt on the other side to hammer it out.

I have a full set of new OEM bolts to go back on and I'll definitely be greasing them up and inspecting them at regular intervals!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts